Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Evolving Magic System

Well, I'm not really sure it should be called that, but basically what I want is that if a character uses a certain skill enough times, they learn a new skill. For example:

Hilda uses the spell Fire 10 times, which causes her to learn the spell Greater Fire. She then uses Greater Fire 15 times to learn the spell Mass Fire.

Also, there should be the possibility of having a certain skill require more than one skill be used a certain number of times to learn it. For example:

Aluxes uses a skill called "Fast Slash" (which runs off Dexterity instead of Strength) 10 times, and also uses a skill known as "Poison Slash" (which does damage AND adds poison) 5 times. As a result, he learns the skill "Fast Poison Slash", which not only runs off Dexterity, but also adds Poison.

I'd prefer this script to be SDK-compatible, please. Thanks!

Since you want combinations, you would probably have an easier time doing this with events unless a lot of characters/monsters have the same skills. A common event for each of the levelable skills that raises a variable then does a conditional to check if they are higher than #. :)

There's probably already a few scripts for this (I can't think of them atm) if you're doing something that common events will take too long to work with.

sandgolem;138434 said:
Since you want combinations, you would probably have an easier time doing this with events unless a lot of characters/monsters have the same skills. A common event for each of the levelable skills that raises a variable then does a conditional to check if they are higher than #. :)

There's probably already a few scripts for this (I can't think of them atm) if you're doing something that common events will take too long to work with.

Thanks, sandgolem, but I'd still prefer a script, if only because it would be more modular (and thus way less annoying to set up) than an event system.

Mhm... I was just going to ask for a system like this... And I remember there was one in the .net times, but it was not very compatible with most other scripts (was designed for an ABS)
Sad that there is noone willing to do this...

O_o Well... I didn't expect someone to do this... May I ask for an additon? I'd like different skilllearningvalues for every class or actor... Possible? I'm sure it is, don't know how much work it involves though.

Ok, I shall finish this later today I am adding a few things to this

The New Skill may Replace Base Skills
Variable Uses depending on actor or class id
Many Requirements for leaning evolved skill use skill 1 x times or use skill 2 y times
Level requirement must be at least this level
Weapon - weapon must be equipped
Armor - armor must be equipped

Speak now I may just add it to this list :)

@amillio21 - It has been stated that the requester wanted a script not an event system

Trick is really good at doing what he says, really havent seen any post where he has cancelled somthing, just he is probally loaded with so many requests :D takes time,

Just suggesting, i really am not sure

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.