Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Event Transfering/Teleporting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
What I am requesting is a script that I could transfer events from one part of a map to another point (in the same map).

What I would like is the ability to call this script, and set the X axis to a variable (set up in events) and the Y axis to another variable (again set up in events).

And for the record, no I simply can not use move routes or path finding. What this is used for would be an easy way to move several events, to correspond to where the player currently is, when a switch is called. That means that for every X/Y combination, I'd need upwards of 20 different move routes, and that is just way more than I can do without causing lag, and other problems.

EDIT: And no, using the set event location event does not suit this purpose. It really should, but since I'm not going to give away what I've been working on till it's ready, I can't say why it doesn't suit my purpose. It really should - I wish it did.

Thanks for reading.
I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can give, and of course full credit would be given - as well as (if you'd like) having an NPC of you (as much as possible, in keeping to the game's settings) or having being named by an NPC via dialog. I can't really offer anything else, except my gratitude at this moment.

I'd absolutely hate requesting a second script, when one I've requested is on the front page... But as one my scripts is being generously worked on, I thought I'd make an exception for this request. My project just needs a few more scripts - most I already have, but haven't added - and a few more graphical resources. Until that is done I plan on opening a thread with a demo, but would be able to show of a particular feature, that would require some sort of event transferring. All help would be appreciated

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how to set this up... I have no clue how to script, and I although I've been attempting to learn bit by bit it's still highly foreign to me.

Code:
$game_variables[variable_id]
So, that would be the variable. If it's the 1st variable (to make it easy) then am I right by thinking it would be:
Code:
$game_variables[0001]
And if the Y was the 2nd variable then:
Code:
$game_variables[0002]
Leaving the event, which is EV001... that would be...?
Code:
event = $game_map.events[1]
And lastly, then it would be
Code:
event.moveto(0001, 0002)

Is this in one call script?
I know - I'm a complete moron in the way of scripting. I've only recently been able to tell if certain code strings make sense - but even that's so basic it would come as second nature to some of you guys.

Thanks for the help SephirothSpawn, I'll keep playing with it and checking back. If I figure it out, I'll post and report the thread to be closed.
Hopefully I'll learn something either way.

Normally I'd say yes - and that was the first thing I tried. I thought I mentioned that earlier in my first post, sorry as I see that I did not. I've tried it, and for what I'm using it for causes the wrong things to happen. It has to be usable on multiple maps, and I know how (once I figure out how to use the scripting part) to set his up as needed.

I really don't want to go into why, or how - as it gives away something I want to hold off talking about until I have a demo.

I do know, from what I've seen in various RGSS scripting tutorials and event scripting that I've seen and done - that this would cut down the work load severely. If it was easier to do in events, I would - I personally love event scripting. Unfortunately, it doesn't work properly.
But thank you for pointing that out, I'll go edit my first post.

Oh no, I didn't think that.
How many times has someone asked for a script just to find out that what they want can be done with events? I'd rather someone remind me that things can be done with events - even if I knew already - than not doing so. There is always the chance that I wouldn't have known.

EDIT:
Got what someone called "exclusive permission" for use of one of their scripts. Tested, and it works. Best of all it's exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks SephirothSpawn anyway. Funny thing is I never got that to work - shows how dumb I am when it comes to this stuff...

Reporting topic to be closed.

This topic has been resolved. If sixtyandaquarter or any other users have any questions or further problems regarding this topic, please create a new thread about them.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.