Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Equipping Standard Items

Equipping Standard Items

Hello all. I have a somewhat simple script request, or at the very least, assistance request. I'll get down to it right away.

The Idea
In my game, there is only one hero, hero 1 in the database. During the course of the game, this hero will come across various items such as letters, keys, recipes, potions, etc. I have it set up currently where he has three standard equipment slots (Weapon, Armor, Accessory) and a slot for holding items (such as keys or letters). The idea is that the hero can equip, a key perhaps, and interact with doors with the key in hand, and the game will automatically try that key. Now this is extremely simple with events, and it is how I have it set up now.

I currently use the "Body Armor" slot as my Holding slot. But that's not the problem. I want him to be able to equip any standard item (as in, items in the Item tab) into this slot and nothing else. For example, say I created an item called Potion. I want him to be able to equip that item in the Body Armor slot, and then (hopefully using the script feature on the conditional branch) be able to test if it is equipped.

The Request/Question
Now what I want is simple (in theory at least). I want a script that will change the way the equip screen will work for the Body Armor slot so that instead of allowing you to equip Body Armor, it allows you to equip Items. I want to also be able to check if this item is equipped (most likely through using the "Script" field in the conditional branch).

If you do not wish to script this, can you please point out what method I should take? I am okay at scripting and I can probably stumble around and figure it out, if I have an idea of where to start or how to go about it.

Requirements
I don't have any other scripts that overwrite the equip scene or window. I also do not have the SDK, MACL, or any of these dev kit, add-on thingies. I'm not sure how well the other scripts I have will jive with these, so I would prefer having a script independent of these if at all possible.

Closing
Thank you so much for reading this, and if you decide to help me, thank you for that as well! If you do not understand something let me know. I did not include any pictures because I don't think it will really help explain anything, as the change is not cosmetic or extreme.

second_crimson":3qxtalws said:
I believe it has been over 72 hours...so...BUMP
Um. try using the conditional branch that if the hero has said key equiped... which will be under the second tab, choose the hero, then click " armor" button and choose the armor (which is what your item has become) then under the conditional, let the door be accessable with whatever you want.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, that's not what I'm looking for, as that's already what I'm using. Currently I have it so that my item is a type of armor and I use conditional events to see if it is equipped. What I want is a script that will instead allow me to equip a standard item (such as a Potion or Elixir or whathaveyou) as a piece of equipment and then check to see if the item is equipped. This way the item can be used from the item menu, or held in the character's hand (so to speak)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.