Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

DOTA 2

Dota 2 combines the real-time strategy elements of a traditional top-down perspective, while also incorporating the leveling and itemization functions of a role-playing video game. Players are pitted against each other as two factions called the Radiant and the Dire. The Radiant faction is based at the southwest corner of the map, while the Dire faction is based at the northeast corner.[6] Utilizing one of six hero selection modes, players select one of 101 "heroes"[7] – strategically powerful units with special abilities, who, through combat experience, may progress to a maximum level of twenty-five. The heroes' methods of combat are heavily influenced by their primary property, which can be strength, agility, or intelligence.[8] The basic setup of Dota 2 places two strongholds containing critical structures called "Ancients" at opposing ends of a geographically balanced map. These bases are connected by three main paths (referred to as lanes), which are guarded by defensive towers and groups of units commonly referred to as "creeps" which traverse their lanes, attacking enemy units and structures upon sight. Players are split into two teams, each consisting of up to five players, to compete as the primary defenders for each Ancient.
The overall objective of each match is to battle through the opposing force's defenses, and destroy the opponents' Ancient. Because Dota 2 is highly team-oriented, players must coordinate with their teams in order to achieve victory. The towers and stronghold defenses are invulnerable to attacks, so long as the towers nearest to the enemy side still stand, and must be destroyed sequentially – a team cannot destroy the enemy's Ancient without first destroying all towers leading up to it in any one lane.
The currency of the game is gold, which is granted steadily at a slow rate. Gold can be accumulated at a much higher rate by killing enemy units, destroying enemy towers, or killing heroes. Killing units grants gold solely to the player who killed it; killing heroes grants gold to the killer and any nearby allies; and destroying towers gives gold to all players on the team. Killing enemy creeps, heroes, and towers also provides experience, which allows the player's hero to level up, granting access to more powerful skills and abilities. "Denying" is a feature of the game which allows players to inhibit the enemy's ability to accumulate gold and experience by killing an allied unit or destroying an allied structure before an enemy can do so. Denying reduces the amount of experience and gold the enemy faction can receive for the kill. Allied heroes may also be denied if they are on critically low health and have a fatal spell applied to them.
Featured across the map are units referred to as "neutrals", which are not aligned to a faction, primarily located in the forests. Located on the southeast side of the river is a boss called "Roshan" who typically requires multiple team members to be killed. Following his death, Roshan will drop a powerful item which allows for a hero to instantly respawn at the location of their death if they are killed.

I have 5 free DOTA 2 copies on Steam. Anyone want them?

The current low price for a copy of Dota 2 on the Steam Market is $0.03, which means people are putting them up for NO return right now. (That price is literally just the Steam transaction fee.) And there are 1,134,087 on the market as of the moment I'm typing this post. So they're essentially worthless. Especially since Dota 2 was also available for free through the Steam store for a while.

Speaking of the market, you guys should buy into the trading card beta thing. Low price right now for a key to that is $0.11, and it makes your profile look at lot nicer.

conchshell":294jeagu said:
What is dota2

DotA is "Defense of the Ancients", a specific scenario from one of the Warcraft games. It was popular enough that there have been several games heavily based on it, the more notable ones being DotA 2 and League of Legends.

does anyone play DOTA2. I have been trying to learn it for a few days now and I am really bad at it but it would probably be infinitely more fun playing with other persons.

Its free on steam.

I have a billion copies of this game...And I hate it.

I prefer league of legends as it's simpler and adds more to the game, DOTA 2 feels more like a remake of the War3 map.

I noticed that it was free again and that all the copies seemed to have vanished from the community market, so I thought they had vanished from inventories too. Was I wrong?

Nachos

Sponsor

Spooky":33ai8zcn said:
DotA feels vastly inferior to LoL quality-wise.

I completely disagree. Having played both games, LoL feels like a dumbed-down version of Dota. And I have played LoL a lot more.

Anyhow, yes, Its completely free now and -most- of the invites have dissapeared.

I play it, shoot me a PM with your steamIDs so we can paly together.

Also this weekends is the inernational, dota2's tournament, hosted by valve

www.joindota.com

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.