Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

"DBZ: Legend of the Super Saiyan" RPG system (not urgent)

I searched the forum, but couldn't find any topics related to the snes game, "Dragon Ball Z: Chou Saiya Densetsu (Legend of the Super Saiyan)". If you don't know what it is, there is a video of it here: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=C8uC9-ce8 ... re=related ___ There are more parts under "Related Videos" if you want to see more gameplay.
And you can get a "Let's Play" commentary, and look at the Fan-Translation, here: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2K7IvenLw

Now, what I was wondering is, how hard would it be for a person to make a battle system like the one in this game? This was one of my most favourite games of all time, and I'd love to make an original story for the DBZ universe using this battle system, for my next RPG project. I use RPG Maker XP, by the way.

For anyone who is interested in the system and wants to try the game, PM me and I'll PM back details.

Features of the system include:

* Five cards with two 1 to Z ratings, the top rating for attack and the lower rating for defence.
* Different attack card, including KI cards which let you use special attacks.
* Favourite Cards which allow a character to attack all enemies instead of just one.
* BPs (Battle Powers, aka: Power Levels) listed along with a character's level. Battle Power raising by a determined amount with each level up.
* A system where Battle Power is used to determine characters' powers.
* Dodging attacks more than in most RPGs.
* If your BP is high enough, the chance to "Re-fight" an opponent who has just attacked you.
* With much higher BP, your character will sometimes attack more than once with a random card.
* Items that affect cards in various fashions.
* If your BP is MUCH higher, then sometimes the enemy's attack will be too weak and you'll take no damage whatsoever.

Other features that are good, but not totally necessary:

* Fight animations--see the videos. [A system of repeatedly using "Show Picture" perhaps...? Or a system of giving the sprites animations in combination with effects?]
* The out-of-combat ability to swap between flight and walking, as well as the ability to "Fast-Fly" which raises your speed but increases the chance of a random encounter.
* Blue health bars for characters and enemies. When lowered, the parts they previously filled are replaced with red bar.
* Enemy BPs showing up when you hold down a certain button during the action menu of combat (the menu that lets you choose, Attack, Item, Escape, etcetera.).
* Characters dying properly when dropped to 0 HP in combat. [Not much of a request since it could probably be done with a common event which removes them from the party when they reach 0 HP.]
* The ability to use such transformations as Oozaru (when saiyans look at the full moon, they turn into giant apes with ten times their original BP), Kaioken (you multiply your BP by an amount based on how good the KI card is), and Super Saiyan (you become the legendary super saiyan, ). Note that the multipliers/etcetera. and the BP sizes don't matter particularly from making the system's perspective--as long as the game creator can edit the numbers without too much trouble.
* Certain menu changes and other things.

I'm not planning on working on a DBZ RPG right away, or that soon really. If someone was interested enough that they could work on bits and pieces with the plan of finishing the system in X weeks, or Y months, then that would be fine--although if the system isn't too hard to do and can be done quickly, then that'd allow for more refining-time.

Thanks for reading.

@Li: ....That means it would take them about 35 attacks to do the other one out, without the use of special attacks. On the bright side, it shows that as BP gets higher the difference has to be more extreme. But still... that'd be a long battle even by DBZ standards. We'll have to consider editing something around, perhaps the stat mods (make Defence lower and Attack higher for characters?)?

@Lvondas: Strange, I did a search and found nothing... oh well. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, but would you be interested in working with us on our project? There are already some sprite rips I found, by the way, you might want to look at them: http://charas-project.net/resources.php ... search=dbz

Thanks obsorber :biggrin:. The game probably won't show up for a long time, unfortunately...

I strongly recommend you try out "Dragon Ball Z: The Legend of the Super Saiyan" if you're a fan of the series, it's the best DBZ RPG I've ever played.

Well, if you know anyone who'd be interested in helping such a project, please direct them to this thread. Thanks :cheers: (and of course you'll be among the first to receive the beta when it's finally ready).

I was hoping if I could work with you on this game, if its not too late, I recently stumbled across this page and was surprised, that people actually liked legend of the super saiyan, in my opinion it was the best dbz rpg game ever made. It has been so long and I still remember so much about the game a long time ago. I spent days trying to find tutorials to be able to create a battle system like this in Rpg maker 2003 or XP, I work on alot of various sprites such as Megaman, DBZ, etc. if you get this message PM back.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.