Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Damage Calculation and Skill By numbers now for vx

First of all, it's not Ruby and Ruby 2, but RGSS and RGSS2 (abbreviating Ruby Game Script Source). While they incorporate different base functions (all RGSS functions should be included in RGSS2), they're both built upon Ruby version 1.81 (currently established Ruby releases are 1.87 and 1.91, however, you won't be able to use them with RPG Maker VXP as far as I know).

Basically, the huge differences are in scene handling (VX has a Scene_Base that scenes are based upon, making XP>VX transitions easier), some new features (that sometimes make VX>XP conversions impossible without remaking those features, or using RGSS2 with XP), the different Battle, Menu and, most of them all, Map systems (especially for the latter, it's most likely easier to approach them from the beginning), along with a few minor things that you just need to know when converting (for example that $game_party.actors is called $game_party.members in VX, or really annoying-to-figure-out stuff such as $game_variables only holding integers in VX, while you could assign any variable type you wanted to in XP).
The help file gives you a neat insight on about what exactly's been changed (even though they don't list the details, which is the really interesting part :| ), so you might consult that one additionally.

Bottom line: The less your to-be-converted script messes with Scene_Map (and everything related, mostly Tilemap), Scene_Battle and Scene_Menu, the easier it will be to convert in theory. However, it's rarely automateable, meaning there's some effort to be put it to make this work usually.

@Pandora, Well, thanks for your trust there XD (you remind me of someone... did you change your nick recently or something?)

@buzz: I think I could, however, as I'm not at work for the next three weeks (doing school), I don't have any lunch breaks to fill, which is usually when I do the bigger stuff I post in here. Therefore, I think finding someone else that does this will be faster, however, I might find some time to look into it.

Thx ill reply here if i find someone, if not maybe 3 weeks is good, i still have a lot of work to do in my projects, graphically speaking, im improving the whole mapping system and creating AlphaZ characters to create a complete graphical pack to improve VX. so basically 3 weeks is fine

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.