Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Construct 2 Help?

If anyone is curious about simple things you can make using construct 2 (I know there are lots out there), you can take a look at what I have done personally with the game maker. I used it for a few games myself.

Suspended Pop & Breakout HTML5
Direct Link to Games
24whfly.jpg

Asteroids
Play from your browser!
ou0291.jpg

I know the program a little bit, and I wanted to share some stuff I have completed using it. :) If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Eventing_Guy":24lvzcsi said:
How do you make a button controlled title screen?

- Make a button...

- go to Event Sheet...

- select Button and select "On Click"

- Add action... "System."

......... Have fun

(took me a while to figure out too.) :tongue:
So, I assume "On Click" can also be controlled with buttons such as the arrow keys instead, correct?

Eventing_Guy":1xi795wa said:
Oh... you said button... nothing about the keyboard.
Sorry, I meant buttons as the keyboard buttons.

I should've have elaborated.

Also, on the other hand, how are the tiles in Construct 2 set up?
They have me a bit confused.

Actually you can fake the button with an image:
- Mouse -> On left button Clicked on image -> thing happens.

For the tiles, maybe Tiled background object can help you? If you wanna make a game full of tiles like in RM*, press View -> Snap to Grid.

When I was talking about tiles, I meant how the template for them were.
Should've have again elaborated.

And also, your first answer doesn't answer my question; I want a keyboard-controlled menu.

One way is to create a variable that goes up or down with the key presses. Use that variable to tell events what to do. If var=1 then new game. If var = 2 then continue. ect...

But Construct 2 is really for web games, you won't really need a continue option or save slots. All you'll need is "press any key to start".
You could use web storage to keep track of game data but its only there until someone clears the browser cache I think.

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

Eventing_Guy":1q8jxf11 said:
You know how in rpg makers where you import a graphic you have the option to completly remove a color, and make another color sort of faded.

is it possible to do something like that in construct 2?

cause my character is running around as a giant white block...

LOL, remember when I asked this... well I figured out how to do it without buying
new software.

Im importing it to RMXP, Exporting is back out, and Importing it to Construct2 :tongue:

lolnli.png

Or you could, you know, use Paint.NET or Photoshop or something, Magic Wand the white box, and then import it into Construct 2.

By the way, did you make that ninja yourself? Pretty darn good, if I must say myself.

Eventing_Guy":3ju9hkc8 said:
It's funny... I got rid of the background only to run into more problems.

I think I will just stick to a "black and white" game. Though right now I
am playing around with "Mouse" functions.
What are these "problems," exactly?

I might be able to help.

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

Well when I removed the white background for character,

- the character would be lowered into the ground...

- when I was running the character was bouncing around
even though I was not jumping.

- it messed up the Jumping and falling functions I have.

I'm not sure why it did that, but it is easier to keep things "Black and White".

Well, when you're editing the animations, there's a feature that lets you remove unneeded space in the sprite, in other words, it crops the image to the character.

This may have messed up your collision issues, but I'm not too sure myself.
Also, what are you using as your ground/tiles?

In total, while you need to pay attention to the fact that global variables (and I'd guess local variables as well) count towards the number as well.
So, if you have a sheet with 10 globals and 5 events, and another with 10 globals and 50 events, your total event count is 75 of 100.
You can easily figure out how many events you got left by adding a condition, copy it and paste it until you get the error message.

As far as optimization goes, make sure you're utilizing the a bit more hidden features of the program, such as the ?: operator. When I went through my stuff yesterday, I got rid of about 5 events that way, which in a picture of 100 events max is a lot.

Say I have a sprite as the title.

To animate it (make it zoom in and out, stuff like that) would I have to do it manually using frames, or is there some sort of feature for Construct 2 that lets me animate pictures a bit (like in RPG Maker, where you can increase or decrease magnification and such)?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.