Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Concept: Famed Battles

I like the "fairy battles" in Final Fantasy IX, where you're pulled into the battle system only to be met with quite different, cheery sounding music and a single "enemy" that's smiling away at you and requests for an item, if you throw the item at the enemy they sometimes give you something in return and that builds towards a side quest.

So here's a similar concept I'm working on for my game:

I have a piece of rather silly music and I've been thinking of having something similar, the concept is:
Throughout the game's story the characters in the world mention various famous names that you never seem to meet, until you find them on the world map in bizarre locations through the battle system.
The famous person requests for an item and you throw it at them, much like in FF9, and they reward you (Or don't). However, if you're sick of hearing people talking about this person you're free to beat the shit out of them and mug them for their money.

I was thinking of making the characters famous originally after meeting "Famed Mimic Gogo" in FF5, so I thought this would be a good way to introduce a minor side quest, by having the names of the characters appear often enough in the world, so the player can think "Ah, this is the famous singer all the NPCs of such and such town keep talking about!".

Reasons why these successful people appear on the world map:
Most of them are insane, so after their rise to fame they simply ran off into the wild.
To reflect this, their artwork would be absolutely nuts, the famed rocker could be wearing no shirt and have huge eyes and one side of his hair shaved off, famed cook could be a really skinny woman with a rolling pin held in her mouth.

The battle system would play the silly music, have a caption appear at the top of the screen that reads "It's the famed X, Y!" X being their profession, Y being their name. The camera then swings to their face and they yell at the player "Seriously guys, I could REALLY do with Z item!" Z being an item in the player's inventory (Most likely booty items from battles and not any kind of useful item).
Choose to throw the item at the character, they would say "Fantastic! Thanks so much!" and either throws something of use back at the player and runs away or just runs.
Choose to beat the crap out of them, they would say "Please don't hurt me! Take my wallet!" and then the battle ends with a large sum of money given to the player.

List of names and professions:
Famed Archeologist, Dodo
Famed Chef, Fofo
Famed Lady, Hoho
Famed Dancer, Jojo
Famed Zoo-Keeper, Koko
Famed Limbo-Dancer, Lolo
Famed Gangster, Momo
Famed Monkey-Boy, Nono
Famed Clock-maker, Popo
Famed Rapper, Roro
Famed Singer, Soso
Famed Dog-Trainer, Toto
Famed Youth, Yoyo
Famed Poor-Man, Zozo

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.