Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Coldview - Yet another RGSS Player re-coding project

Hi guys, I've started to recode the RGSS library in C#, I use IronRuby
to let ruby use these classes that I'm making in C#.
The classes which I make have the same structure as the RGSS classes
which makes the player compatible with the basic game script which comes
with the new projects of RMXP.
I'm using Managed DirectX to render graphics which makes all of the graphics hardware
accelerated, the problem is that people won't be able to use big tilesets like in Pokemon.
To handle this I'm going to make a clone which uses GDI+.

Progress:
Bitmap - 5%
Color - 100%
Font - 80%
Plane - 2%?
Rect - 100%
Sprite - 25%
Table - 100%
Tilemap - 0%
Tone - 100%
Viewport - 5%
Window - 0%
RGSSError - 0%
RPG::Sprite - 0%
RPG::Weather - 0%

How will this help to imrpove the performance?
rir_total_runtime.png

Anyone who has any knowledge of C# may PM me.

Would it not be better to use XNA for rendering rather than GDI+ since it faster and should be able to handle any type/size of image you are loading.

rpgmaker":193a92gs said:
Would it not be better to use XNA for rendering rather than GDI+ since it faster and should be able to handle any type/size of image you are loading.
I could use XNA, but in this case I want my player to overlap RGSS
and RGSS uses Graphics.update to render graphics, also it is easier to
work with textures with the rgss elements..

You should be rewriting Graphics 0_0 What's the point of making an RGSS Player that does the same thing the original one does? rpgmaker is definitely right, use XNA to do rendering and it will be a lot faster.

The point is to make it faster and hardware accelerated and also make the window update even when its not in focus. I'd happily use XNA, but XNA is very limited for me, I also need to let Graphics.update render, and XNA uses a class which self-update.

Woohoo!

test_sprite = Sprite.new
test_sprite.bitmap = Bitmap.new("TestGame/default_256.png")
test_sprite.x = 50

this actually works!

Nice nowayskill! I'll have some competence now, hehe, just kidding ;)

If you need some help, I may be able to help you.

Hi there
I am doing the same thing, and actually I have recoded the whole RGSS in c#+XNA
I am only missing Tilemap.flash_data and Plane at the moment

Well when I say "the same thing", not quite. I don't bother using Ruby, I am making a RGSS like in c# using the same structure, and I use the RMXP data structure as well.
In other word I develop the game with RMXP and I make it works on XNA and so xbox

If you want a chat here's my msn roys_msn(at)live(dot)fr

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.