Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Chess Practice

Ok so, a little while ago I did some self-reflection.
I won't go into details, but one of the outcomes was that I wanted to improve my chess-skills (it being important and stuff).

SO I sought some fancy apps to help me with that, since I don't know any Grandmasters, and certainly no-one around me seems to enjoy chess.
For singleplayer stuff I have an app on my computer and on my phone. The computer is solely games, but it looks and feels fancier that app is called SparkChess, and is an app from the Chrome app store.
On my phone though, I've got an app called Shredder chess, it's for Android, and seems to be really fancy. I mean, it doesn't look fancy, but it has features. A quick breakdown:

SparkChess
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... m?hl=en-US
2Zan57hZBYan0t8eZK3ISgRjdnoIxpl0_ztLUGajsuTbxYgZHENsnpqSwnGXaIeIwSNCBR1JUw=s400-e365-h275

Has a free and paid version, I've got the free one, and it let's me pick a level opponent, which then has a match with me. The app has fancy animations, and feels pretty solid. It can also be played offline. An advanced version is also available for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and iPad. It has more features especially useful for learning chess, including replay with PGN import/export, board editor with FEN import/export, hints, move help, visual aids, diagram mode and more. But the advanced version is a paid version.

Ok btw I JUST thought of the fact that my w7 install also has Chess Titans installed, which is pretty awesome too.

Shredder Chess (Android)
http://www.shredderchess.com/chess-prog ... droid.html
Test: http://www.shredderchess.com/play-chess-online.html
playing2.png

Shredder for android is a paid app, but it is a good one at that. Shredder analyzes your movements, gives you instant feedback on how the game is balanced in terms of positions of pieces, and improves when you improve. You start out with a certain value, which stands for the 'level' of Shredder. If you lose, it goes down, so the next game will be easier. Pretty nifty.

The Android app also has this 'Tactics' mode, which presents you with a situation, and you have to make the best move. It's timed; you start out with ten points each situation, and as time progresses or you make a wrong move, points get subtracted. Pretty cool too, and it provides you with a lot of insight in situations.

Multiplayer Chess
http://multiplayerchess.com/#!/
multiplayer_chess_screenshot1.jpg

Multiplayerchess.com is a site where you can freely play a game of chess against others. There's an option to play vs. a random person, but there's also a function in which you get an url for a room, and you can pass it on to a friend, so you can play against your friends.. Pretty cool too! I use this for when I feel the urge to have a quick game of chess against a willing friend (never).

Anyway, I can imagine there are lots of cool chess variants out there that I haven't found yet, so I was wondering if anyone here knew about one? I'm pretty content with the ones that I already have, but if there are better/cooler things I'd like to know!

Jason

Awesome Bro

My friend likes playing chess, and he bought a game called "Battle vS Chess", it only came out in May so it's pretty recent and can be bought on PS3, 360 or PC for really cheap, but he seems to like it a lot and says it's fun to play... maybe you could check it out? I know nothing about it except it actually looks pretty in the graphics department since what he's shown me involves actual characters instead of chess pieces, lol...

I've also bought that Shredder app, and... I suck:P Even on his lowest rating I can't beat him with a strategy, everything I do are lucky guesses.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.