Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Changes to the Projects Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccoa

As some of you have no doubt noticed, the Projects forum has moved and been rearranged a tad.

First, our primary purpose is the production of RMXP games (plus it looked plain silly in the new format in the middle of the RMXP forums), so I've moved it up to the top.

Second, there are now 4 subforums of Project Discussion, and Project Discussion can no longer contain threads. They are:

Completed Games and Demos

This forum is only for games with at least 30 minutes of actual gameplay. Not cutscenes, trailers, or teasers. Only gameplay. The only exceptions are projects which are not games, like Domain and Nadir's Canon. Moves to this forum are handled by reporting your project thread. Please do not waste the mods time if you don't have the required demo or full game.

Projects In Development

This is what Project Discussion used to be. Your thread must contain a significant amount of information, as before, to qualify for a move to this forum. We also reserve the right to return it to Early Projects if it appears to have been abandoned.

Early Projects

This is the only forum that you have permissions to post a new thread in. Post your projects there. If they have enough material to qualify for a move to In Development or Complete and Demo, please report the thread.

Recruitment

This forum is unchanged from before.

Same rules still apply. No bumping in any of the three project subforums without adding significant content. Significant is up to the discretion of the mod, but one or two screenshots is not significant.

OS

Sponsor

Jeez, I thought the forums broke for a sec. This change makes perfect sense. It'll be easier to find demos this way, for sure. :)

way to hide the forum which covers our "our primary purpose". nobody can see it hiding there looking like a description of the category. it doesn't look like a real forum at all.

there's a difference between moving it to the top of the category and making it look like a subforum or description so people have a hard time finding it

edit
but then again this is rmxp.org what should I expect a logical layout and fully functioning forum?? ohohohoho

I think it's a pretty good idea... but not having the most recently posted in topic is kind of a pain, in my opinion. I always look there first when looking at which forum to browse, and without it, it makes things a little bit more cumbersome.

I've had Trickster move the Screenshot Thread to the RMXP General Discussion Forum.

Due to the location and aesthetics of the new Project area, and that there are three separate Project subforums, the Screenshot Thread's relative use in simply one of them is lackluster. Having it in the General Discussion forum makes it more accessible, and you can see when it has recently been posted in.

ccoa

Minkoff;230381 said:
but then again this is rmxp.org what should I expect a logical layout and fully functioning forum?? ohohohoho

And this is Minkoff, what did I expect, social graces?

Is that better for everyone? I've also placed the Screenshot Thread in the parent forum. It doesn't make sense in any other forum, and now it works for all three.

Was this really necessary? The old system has worked on .net and .org for years. The fact so few games actually ever get finished meant the completed games thread was completely adequate.

Now I have to wade through 3 subforums to just see what has recently happened, wheras before I had the one.

It just seems illogical and superfluous. But as Mink said, it's hardly surprising.

Sheesh, some people are never happy.

Myo, do you even remember that it was you who made a feedback topic a long time ago saying that there were too many projects in Project Discussion and that it wasn't easy for you to pick out which ones you wanted to play? I would pull it up, but it was before one of the hacks. We created the Project of the Month because of that, but I didn't think that was enough so I began a discussion in the Staff forum about how to further organize the projects.

There are very few 100% complete games, yes, but there are a decent amount of projects with a large amount of content, and I've long thought they deserved an area of their own rather than having to compete with dozens and dozens of projects still in early development.

Wow, three subforums to wade through. What an injustice. Honestly, if you think the forum is so mismanaged and sloppy, why are you still here? In fact, I thought you left.

Because the problem boiled down to overcrowding in the Project Discussion area. It's heartening that you felt PotM fixed that problem, but I wasn't as sure.

Anyway, going over your original post again, it seems that before the change, you only were interested in the general Project Discussion forum. With that in mind, it's really only one extra subforum you might want to keep track of. Recruitment is Recruitment. Early Projects is the same as New Projects. So really the only major change is having the Completed Games and Demo. Projects in Development is about 75% of what was already in Project Discussion. If you can muddy around in all the subforums in The Other Hand, I think this shouldn't prove to be all that challenging.

Ithink its better for people who have playable demos out now that there game doesnt fall into oblivion after 2 days because 100 people bump their WIP projects with screenshots of their message systems everyday.

ccoa

The Silent Alarm;230772 said:
Was this really necessary? The old system has worked on .net and .org for years. The fact so few games actually ever get finished meant the completed games thread was completely adequate.

If you'd read, it says it is for completed games and demos. There are actually quite a few of them. And more than one person has commented that they are really only interested in finding games with playable content. The demo thread and the completed games threads weren't really cutting it, because they were rarely kept up to date and were not as easy to navigate - in order to determine if a game was worth playing, one would have to go to the project thread anyway. Wading through lists of demo posts, reading the project thread, then going back to the demo thread is a lot of extra and unnecessary steps.

Now I have to wade through 3 subforums to just see what has recently happened, wheras before I had the one.

First, there were two before. Now there is one more. So if you ignored New Projects before, there's no reason to not continue ignoring it now. And that means that you only have one more forum to check, not two. I know that's a huge hassle and all, but I'm confident you can hack it.

It just seems illogical and superfluous.

90% of the project threads in Project Discussion were nothing more than a character list and screenshots. Most of them aren't going anywhere or won't be getting anywhere for a good long time. It's perfectly logical to separate out those games which have shown they can produce playable content. PotM showcases promising games, but those games do not necessarily have to have playable content. It also only showcases one game a month - this forum already contains more projects than all the PotMs combined. This is not equivalent at all.

But as Mink said, it's hardly surprising.

Neither is it surprising that you're complaining about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.