Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Bye Wii U

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

Sadly according to some rumors Nintendo is officially ending Wii U production this week.
https://www.destructoid.com/rip-report- ... 6873.phtml

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/01/ ... -this-week

Updated: Rumors were false. Production will continue. Silly media making up shit again!

This could be the end of the most underrated and overlooked console of all time.

What went wrong?

1) The name.
It was an absolutely horrible name for the console. Just naming Wii 2 would have made a major difference in sales alone. The Wii did great, so they wanted Wii in the name. At least do it right... *Sigh* SONY knows 2 Is better than 1. And 4 is better than 3. Simple marketing. Don't get all fancy and cause confusion... Idiots.

2) No local multi game pad support
It's a personal problem that rubbed me the wrong way. So only one player gets the good controller, while everyone else gets the shitty ones... I hated that very much about the Wii U. Tablet screens for everyone? It's only fair. Yay for Switch!

3) Marketing
Yeah, umm, it's best to let people know your console exists. Do like Sony and shove the shit down people's throats 18 times a day. Ps4 controller in a cereal commercial. PlayStation just everywhere in shit not game related at all. Hell the US military use PS controllers for robotic drones. I can't go one day without hearing about PlayStation. "I didn't know the Wii U existed". People born after 1996 is pretty much oblivious to everything not concerning them, or hitting them in the face every 5 seconds. Most likely they didn't care anyway, honestly.

4) Retarded consumers and dumb casuals.
Nintendo you gotta treat the consumers like retarded babies. They get confused fast. Keep things simple. Explain things alot. Don't assume you're dealing with intelligence beings. SONY sure as hell doesn't.

"I thought the Wii U was an add on." Maybe if you did research on a product like smart consumers, and not assume things like a fucking idiot, that wouldn't have happened. "But it's the same color as the Wii and looks similar." Maybe if the console was shaped like pyramid and gold colored this wouldn't have happened, huh? (That would've been cool).

5) 3rd party support
I honestly don't understand why anyone still expect Nintendo consoles to have buggy broken ported games from EA & others. The truth is 3rd party companies just don't like Nintendo. They said things like the Wii U was too weak for a game, then they release that same game on previous gen systems weaker than Wii U. WTF?

See, it comes down to sales. Like the original wii. Over 80 million sold? 3rd parties shitted out so many crappy ass games on that ultra weak system. Once you sell good, then EA and others will create a way to release semi broke buggy games on your console. I guess people just like having a lot of games, even if they're broken, buggy, and shovelware. Personally I only like AAA games on console, and use a PC for 3rd party buggy games.

6) slow released AAA Games
Nintendo create excellent games, but the take forever to make. No new metroid, Zelda still isn't here yet after 4 years. Oh my god.

7) Microsoft and SONY.
It's like two popular kids everyone pays attention to, and then there's your ass Nintendo. Sure you're different, unique, and special, but no one sees you... The other kids just appears cooler than you. You get overlooked and people miss out on your talents & uniqueness. Staying quiet in the corner won't resolve the situation. It comes back to marketing!

8) Media bias and Nintendo bashing
Everyone seems to just enjoy kicking you while your down. From multi media, to insecure adults, and just little kids who don't know anything about you. People just dislike you Nintendo because you're a family friendly company. You only been around since 1888, what do you know? :huh:

"Let's bully them, laugh, and pick at them". It's human nature that needs to change.

It's why I personally never feel bad for victims in school shootings. Most likely the shooter was bullied. I cheer in joy when I hear stuff like that... I absolutely love those stories!! Especially the ones with high body counts. I think of it as a great lesson for the enitre human race. Bullying is wrong!! I support any action taken by the victim except suicide. Don't kill just yourself because of someone else. I rather you kill them and explain to everyone why you did it. Just maybe something in the human race will change.

"No one takes anything seriously until people start dying. Sometimes violence is the answer. Bad actions without consequence promotes those actions."
--Lyra Antrex--

I think Nintendo's biggest problem is that they had absolutely zero knowledge of who the people playing games on their hardware are and what they're doing on their hardware. The WiiU launch seemed like they believed all Wii owners were mega Nintendo fans and still played on their Wiis every week - they had no data about the Wiis gathering dust and almost the entirety of their audience moving onto iPhone games due to their convenience.

The networking system for the WiiU is a games industry joke. Many companies bid to help Nintendo out with their online network, Nintendo chose a random Japanese games company (with no successful games) that had no background in doing networking systems to advise them. In the meetings they kept saying "Like Xbox Live" and "Like Playstation Network" and the Nintendo execs, designers and technical staff(!) replied with "Sorry, we're not familiar with these services, could you please explain how they work?" and - apparently - the advising company was dumbstruck and had no idea how to progress these meetings (they were shocked enough to post a rant about it on a development board).

Valve were one of the bidders to help advise Nintendo with their online network.

EDIT: To clarify, I believe their lack of data or any knowledge at all led to their godawful marketing decisions. Ultimately, the marketing failed it at the very start, but having Wii Fit U as a launch title really proved that Nintendo thought their audience was still around. Didn't realise they all left for iPhone games, leaving behind the people who actually cared about Nintendo - the gamers.

They did realise this after they got data back from who was buying the 3DS (and more importantly: who wasn't) and that's why the New 3DS was made and Nintendo started throwing free games at 3DS owners and doubling down on their strong, gamer-oriented IPs.

By that time, the WiiU was already out the door with marketing that seemed to believe your mum is a die-hard Nintendo fan who really wants Wii Fit U because she stays up to date with the latest Nintendo news and uses her Wii Fit every day.

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

I read you. You gotta at least know your customer. Nintendo lives in a bubble or something. When I worked for SONY, they had workers doing hardcore research on the consumer.

IE: Why didn't they buy a PlayStation?
What do they think about PSN?
What's our strongest advantage? (Brand recognition)

Sony had me ask customers stuff like that. That was during the PS3 generation. I was promoting PlayStation Move and Vita. Again SONY keeps stuff simple. They know exactly who they're dealing with.

Jason

Awesome Bro

... I thought you don't follow the media when it comes to news like this? You've just kind of shown that you do right here, lol.

Oh well, the Wii U has honestly been a waste of money for me, I've had it for three years and only ten games have sparked my interest, two of which I haven't even bought yet... kinda' questioning whether or not I even want to bother with the Switch, lol.

I'm a bit bored by all the names these days to be honest.

Nowadays we have:

Nintendo: Wii, WiiU
Sony: Playstation, PS2, PS3, PS4
Microsoft: Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One

Whereas in the past we had unique names for each console and some were great:

Sega: Megadrive, Saturn, Dreamcast
Atari: Jaguar, Lynx, Panther

OK maybe it's just Sega who had some imagination.

Yeah, I miss Sega.

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

@Jason. Just this once I followed the media without question, and they lied. See? They proved exactly why people shouldn't believe rumors. I even saw 12 youtube videos on it.

People enjoy bad Nintendo news, so they hop on anything without evidence. Personally I just wanted to vent about the Wii U failures to be honest. Imagine losing millions of dollars because of a crappy name.

People love typing:

"They should go 3rd party". (Translation: I'm to poor to buy multiple consoles, but I love their games... 0% chance it will happen. They'll just stay in Japan if anything.)

"They are doomed" (Been doomed since 1888. Not going anywhere anytime soon.)

"They're going to go away like Sega" (Nope, Nintendo owns the handheld market since 1992. Sega is just about all dead. )

"Just do what Microsoft and SONY are doing" ( Yeah, no. Playing it safe leads to no innovation. Gaming will get dull real fast, and die off like it did in the seventies.)

"Weak hardware" (Then you'll complain about the high price. You can't have it both ways. They can't burn money like Microsoft.)

"No 3rd party games" (3rd party companies are too afraid Nintendo. They rather just play it safe and stick with Microsoft & Sony. It's not Nintendo's fault entirely. Just get a gaming PC for that and stop being cheap/Lazy).

Princess Amy":1suis3iz said:
Nintendo America used up the best names early on with Entertainment System and then Super.

Pretty much impossible to have good names after them.

Even the Gameboy was clever naming, it was supposed to evoke a meaning similar to Sony's Walkman of purposefulness.

The Master System and Mega Drive were also amazing names from Sega. Makes them sound like powerful pieces of hardware.

The name PlayStation is in similar style to Entertainment System. Entertainment/Play and System/Station.

GameCube is a good name too as it evokes the Gameboy name and describes the unique shape of the console, rather than having it be generic box like the rest of them.

Xbox is a pretty shitty name. In the late 90s when it was DirectXbox I bet everyone thought they were being clever with the name, but it lost that connection and meaning entirely.

Largely, there's been worse names for consoles.

I love the Dreamcast name, but I will admit it has zero meaning and feels rather weak. Doesn't sound like a name for a console, sounds like a name for a sleeping medicine.

Wii was a crap name, but they marketed it well (with those i's being two people) and it stood out from Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

I still think DS is a shit name. Thought it from the start, still think it to this day. I can't suggest a better name.

Jason

Awesome Bro

About the going third party thing, I'd be behind that decision in some sort of way... I'd like to see them come to some sort of agreement with Sony for example, and be able to have cross over games...
I say Sony because they have a wider/more varied selection of characters to pick from that would more naturally blend in with what Nintendo has... for example, I think Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper would feel more natural in a game with Mario and co. than Marcus Fenix and Master Chief, lol.

My issue with Nintendo consoles, is that they essentially boil down to 'get the Nintendo console to play the Nintendo games'.
Which would be fine and great; if I didn't hate any incarnation of the Mario IP, I'm not interested in Metroid and Zelda is patchy at best for me. And even Pokémon games, I care not for the spin offs (I'm looking at you Pokken, Stadium, Colosseum, XD, Rangers and Mystery Dungeon)!

However I am super happy with my WiiU purchase, and have no regrets at all. Even though I rarely play it... because I bought it for one very good reason: Bayonetta 2. And if the Switch has a Bayo game, I'll buy it for that alone.

Xilef":hak7mhce said:
Princess Amy":hak7mhce said:
Nintendo America used up the best names early on with Entertainment System and then Super.

Pretty much impossible to have good names after them.

Even the Gameboy was clever naming, it was supposed to evoke a meaning similar to Sony's Walkman of purposefulness.

The Master System and Mega Drive were also amazing names from Sega. Makes them sound like powerful pieces of hardware.

The name PlayStation is in similar style to Entertainment System. Entertainment/Play and System/Station.

GameCube is a good name too as it evokes the Gameboy name and describes the unique shape of the console, rather than having it be generic box like the rest of them.

Xbox is a pretty shitty name. In the late 90s when it was DirectXbox I bet everyone thought they were being clever with the name, but it lost that connection and meaning entirely.

Largely, there's been worse names for consoles.

I love the Dreamcast name, but I will admit it has zero meaning and feels rather weak. Doesn't sound like a name for a console, sounds like a name for a sleeping medicine.

Wii was a crap name, but they marketed it well (with those i's being two people) and it stood out from Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

I still think DS is a shit name. Thought it from the start, still think it to this day. I can't suggest a better name.

1dfwyf.jpg

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

The Wii U is officially discontinued. The recall order went out last week.

We can't have retarded consumers getting confused again. "We thought the Wii U was the switch." Never underestimate the stupidity of humans... Especially dealing with Nintendo. It's like the IQ drops 100 points when consumers hear the name Nintendo.

Shame the Wii U was ignored because everyone just loves stupid ass gun games. Personally I won't be touching another fps game for at least twenty years (that's a promise). The gaming industry needs a huge break from them in my opinion.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.