Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Button Based Combat Menu

Button Based Combat Menu

I am looking for a script that will alter the way that selecting actions during battle will work. As opposed to navigating your way through a menu, instead, you would assign all of the options to keyboard keys. You can assign Attack, Defend, Items, Escape, and Skills to any non-used keys in the non-combat pause game screen. Then, during combat, pressing a key would use the action it was assigned to. I ask for this because I am using a real-time battle system, so navigating through all of the menus is a disadvantage, due to the fact that while doing so, you are getting attacked. Assigning it to a key allows selecting actions to be much more streamlined.

Assigning keys would be a separate option in the pause game menu. It would show a list of all of the actions you can take during battle, along with what key they are currently assigned to. While you have an action highlighted, pressing any key (other then menu navigating keys) would assign that action to the pressed key. If that key was already being used for something, it would not allow you to assign that key to any other actions. Pressing the space key while highlighting an action would un-assign it from its currently assigned key. Alternatively, it could work in reverse. A list of all of the keys, and selecting them takes you to a list of all of the actions to assign to that key. You could even use the standard combat menu to select what action you assign to the selected key. Whichever way is easier.

A couple of optional features that would be nice, but are not necessary, would be the option to assign keys in the middle of battle via a paused menu, and the option to show a legend of what keys are assigned to what actions at all times during combat. Again, if these are too hard, leaving them out is not a problem.

I am using the ACBS, along with the ATB add-on.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Awesome Bro

Sounds like a pretty good idea, and it'd make battles a lot more strategical... well, that's if you have a limited amount of buttons to use, say if you can assign the 1-0 buttons, that's 10 actions;

That means you'd have attack and defend as two of them, and with the eight left over, you'd have to decide between skills and items.

If I could do things like this, I'd make it, sadly I really can't, nor do I have the time to even attempt ANYTHING.

Oh well, thanks for the comment anyway!

Also, with the ACBS, escape would have to be assigned to a key as well. That would leave 7 keys for skills and items. That could work, but would there be anything wrong with also allowing letters to be assigned to actions as well?

Also, it would probably be a good idea to make assigning escape, attack, and defend to keys mandatory, and not allowing them to be unassigned. Only changed.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Yeah, obviously letters could be assigned, I'm just trying to think of a tactical approach where you need to consider which items and skills to take into a battle with you.

Something else I just realized, is that I'm not sure how this will work with more then one party member. It may get a bit confusing. Any thoughts as to how to avoid something like that?

My Idea for the multi-character party issue is have Party member 1 use 1-5, PM2 use 6-0, PM3 use q-t and PM4 use y-p. Then assign escape to esc, or something. That could be fun, right?

The problem is that every character only gets 5 moves then. And I need separate keys for Attacking, every skill, every item, and defend. 5 keys leaves 3 for skills and items.

I don't really need a multiple character party thing though. I'll just only use one character at a time.

If anyone could at the very least let me know how difficult something like this would be to program, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.