Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

BIG Request (this may be hard...I hope that its not impossible)

My game is a basic RPG, where you fight enemies the classic way. But, in each dungeon I was hoping to put in something that's called an Action/Puzzle Boss, basically a boss that you fight on the map and not the turn based thing. I'm at the point where I'm ready to put in the first one, I'll be putting up sketches of what it will look like in the resource request board later. But for now I think it will be better if I took care of the scripting part (assuming this will require tons of it). So anyways let me start explaining of how this thing is going to work out by describing what the boss looks like and how it acts.

For right now, I'm calling this boss "Flamewriter", you know how a printer/typewriter works when you open the cover while its printing? That's basically how this machine moves, but as you may have guessed...it fires a bunch of fireballs at you. The arena is this long cave-like place, with boulders forming a maze. This is the first Action Boss so it's kinda easy, basically you navigate through the maze up towards Flamewriter while avoiding its fireballs at the same time. Once you get up to it, all you have to do is try to walk up to the moving part that's shooting fire at you and damage it (use the spacebar I guess). Once you damage it, it will move up and lead you to the next maze. Everytime you damage it, it will move faster and fire the fireballs at a faster rate. Damage it 3 to 4 times to destroy it.

There you go...if the fireballs hit you, you will thrown back a little bit and the whole party takes damage. If you need the graphics in order to make its script let me know please. I'm not a scripter so I don't know how all that stuff works, but I'll try to get some graphics for this thing if needed. Thanks...
(oh, if you need anything else just ask, I hope this thing can be created)

OS

Sponsor

Haha. It doesn't sound like you need scripting at all. This can be done with events. Events control the Flamewriter's movements. The fireballs are events that flow from the Flamewriter towards the player, and reset themselves when they are so many spaces away from the player (enough to be off the screen). The Flamewriter event itself is set to Action Key, and takes damage when the player activates it. The damage (stored in a variable) would be checked by another event that would cause explosions all across the Flamewriter to show that it has been destroyed.

I hope this description is helpful in creating the boss battle.

Huh...lol. Alright I'll try this out soon then, I'll post here if i run into anymore problems.

EDIT: How do you make it where multiple fireballs can show up in one column, otherwise the battle may turn out to be too easy, know what I'm saying?

And how do you make a fake HP bar? By this I mean have a bar show up in one of the top corners below the boss's name, and the bar gets shorter when you damage the boss. I said fake because we're not using HP for the boss, and the boss will die after a certain number of hits anyway.

Jason

Awesome Bro

For the HP Bar, it's simple, just draw a full HP bar, and make a Show Picture event, and when you press spacebar on the machine, erase picture and show another pictur of a HP bar with less HP.

I'll try and mak a mockup of this.

OS

Sponsor

You don't need the images they made, I think. Just make a simple bar for now, and get a better one later if it is needed.

As for multiple Fireballs, it just means more events or bigger images.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.