Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Big idea for job system

Okay...I've got this huge idea for a job system in my head.  This sounds like it would be a huge project...so I just kind of want to put a general idea out there to see if anyone would actually want to take this on, or see if there would be any interest in it.

It would be VERY similar to the system in Seiken Densetsu 3.  And in case you don't know what that's like, I'll try to explain it:

1. Each character starts off with a set job.
2. At level 18 each character can change their job at a crystal.
3. It doesn't tell you in game, but one is the "light" path, and the other is the "dark" path.
4. At another level (30?) you can change jobs AGAIN.  And again you choose from the "light" or "dark" path.

So basically, each character has 4 final jobs to choose from, 7 jobs total (counting their starting job, and the two jobs they have to choose from at level 18) for each character.  So you could either have chose the Light-->Light,  Light-->Dark, Dark-->Light, or the Dark-->Dark job paths (see, that's four different jobs).

What I was thinking, is that that could be taken, but made into a very deep, amazing part of a game.  I don't have all the details worked out yet, it seriously just popped into my head, and it's 2 in the morning so I have to get all this down before I go to bed so I don't forget it lol.

Okay, in the game I was planning, there are 3 characters.  Each character has these branching paths of job choices, just like in SD3, except it's a lot different.

I was thinking you would not get experience from enemies, only JP (or job points) or something like that.  What you would do, is put the JP into the job of your choice for each character.  I'll make a quick example:

======================================
Terra starts off with the Mage class.  She has 100 JP, so you want to use them to power her up.  (This is just one of my ideas) You go to your menu, and open up Terra's Job menu.  All you see is Mage on the list, but you can see the other branches of the path, but they are dimmed out and you can't read what they are.

When you click on Mage (your only option) you go to a whole new menu.  On this menu you can see all the skills you've learned from the job, etc.  You pick a "Spend JP" option or something like that, and you are asked how much.  Also on the menu it shows how much JP is required until the next level for the job, what skill(s) will be learned on the next level up, and what stats will be increased.  There is 20 JP until the next level, so you spend 20 JP.

You get a level up screen that shows this:

+15 MP
+5 Intelligence
Fire learned!

You leave the Mage menu, and highlight the Black Mage option (but at the moment it doesn't show up as "Black Mage",  just "???").  When you click it, it goes to a menu where it shows some  requirements.  The requirements are:

MP: 200
Intelligence: 50
Fire learned
Blizzard learned
Thunder learned

So you go and do the appropriate things in the Mage menu--you learn the required skills, and you get your stats up enough to meet the requirements.  When you go to your job menu, you notice that the "???" whose requirements were listed above, is blinking.  So you click on that, and WHOOSH! it turns into "Black Mage"!

Now you can access the Black Mage menu, where you can learn new skills, and the stat increases will probably be better.  BUT you can still do stuff with the Mage job.
=========================================

Is that a good enough example?  I am sure there would be changes.  Like I think maybe you would actually be able to choose which skills to learn within each job menu, because that way you could lean towards one job instead of the other.  Like if the other branch coming off of Mage was Cleric and you wanted to work more in that instead of Black Mage, you could choose to learn Cure and Antidote from the Mage menu.

And here's a very important point, your character does not level up.  There is no experience.  Your stats and skills are determined purely by what jobs you invest in.  And the player would sort of be creating their ultimate character without even knowing it.  Because think about it, if you choose the skills you like from the list, that's going to unlock the jobs that have stronger versions of those spells...know what I'm saying?

Actually...what I'm thinking is that you would choose which job to be your "Active Job", and maybe you WOULD get experience, but experience would ONLY go into your active job, and when the active job levels up, your stats increase.  But you would still get JP which could be used to buy the skills, and they would just be general, not job specific.

ALSO (sorry!) I think that you would also unlock the ability to use certain weapons/armor and different levels of those weapons/armor by leveling up certain jobs.  I'll do another small example.

============================
Silas starts as an Archer.  The branching jobs are Hunter and Gunner.  As he is leveling up Archer, he is gaining the ability to use different levels of bows and arrows...but he can ONLY use bows and arrows.

He unlocks the Gunner job, and from that he gets the ability to use Level 1 Guns.  As he levels up Gunner, he can use higher levels of guns, BUT he is not gaining higher bow and arrow ability.

Either he can only use guns as a Gunner (unless he gets an ability to use guns when a differnet job is his active job); OR you can just use whatever level of whatever weapon you have gained the ability to use regardless of job....I'm not sure which one.
============================

Now obviously this is a VERY rough idea...but I don't know if its the fact that it's really late and I'm tired, but to me this sounds...FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!!

Edit: Here's samples I drew up:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/ ... obMenu.png[/img]

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/ ... Change.png[/img]

Maybe if enough people are interested, someone would take on a project like this.  The only problem then is that it wouldn't be a unique system to my game >_<...oh well.  Not many people even finish games anyway, so I wouldn't mind if other people used it lol.

The leveling up and abilities sounds a lot like the FFX Sphere Grid idea, only you'd receive AP instead of spheres.  This would be a cool system, but I'm sure it would require very heavy scripting.  Good luck, though. :thumb:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.