Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Barter System request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
First off, if this is too long winded, I apologize. If you'd like me to attempt to get a screen shot (by hooking up my other computer) I will attempt it. If you need a better explanation, or have a question, just say so. Thanks.

What I would like to request is a sort of modified shop, that can be called in as an alternate for a normal shop. A shop that uses a bartering type system.

How I'd like it to look:
I wish I had an art program on this comp, but I don't even have MS Paint.
Okay, imagine the basic default shop window... That horizontal bar that holds the options of "buy" "sell" and "exit" are replaced with: "barter" "how to" and "exit". With "how to" being a quick message display. Exit, obviously close. And "barter" opens up the bartering shop itself.

What it does:
You know how you click on "buy" in the default shop, and that previously empty large window splits into two? One larger window on the left, and one smaller window on the right? Well, I'd like that to be evened out, so the windows are the same side.
One the left side is the store's items.
On the right side is the party's items.
The "gold" window to be replaced by "difference" - and be about double the width it currently would be in a normal shop.
You can trade/barter an item(s) of similar price, with another.
So, let's say the store has "potion" and "high potion" which cost 50 g and 150 g (making up numbers as I go).
And the player has "silver rock" which costs 175 gp.
The player would be able to select an item - or more - from the store's side (left hand), and an item from his/her own side.
When selecting an item, the player, like with a shop, be able to increase the amount traded.
When items are selected, they are outlined to show. Possibly sent to the top of the list (and if deselected returned to their normal order).
When done, clicking "barter" will either trade the amount, or show a message that the Trader isn't willing to trade under these conditions.

The Exchange window (for lack of a better name) would show the difference in prices, of what's being traded. In positive numbers, or negative numbers (negative showing "-", positive showing "+" before the actual rate). This way the player can see if they are attempting to trade favorably or not.

I'd also like to be able to have unique exchange rate variables. So some traders will trade items of higher worth, than what they are trading for.

Example:
Trader (Store) has: Potion (50 g), High Potion (150 g)
Player has: Silver Rock 1x (175 g).
Player goes to trade Silver Rock for 1 Potion. The exchange reads: -125 (because, the player is losing 125 gold on the deal). If the player decides to trade, or accidentally hits Trade, a confirmation message pops up.
If they click "yes" (as in I'd like to trade) the trade goes threw. The player doesn't lose any money, but loses his Silver Rock, and gains 1 potion.

Example 2:
The Trader and Player have the same items as above.
The player attempts to trade Silver Rock for 4 Potions. The exchange would show "+25" (as the player would benefit 25 gold from the deal). Selecting to trade, and confirming the trade, one of two things will happen:
If that trader was set up to trade for a +0 range (meaning they won't trade for anything that shows an exchange of +1 or greater) they would decline.
If that trader was set up to trade for a +35 range (meaning they will trade for anything with an exchange of +35 or lower) the trader would accept, and the trade would go threw. The player would not gain any money, but would gain 4 potions.

I'd like this to be as much like a shop as possible, including being able to set up what items the store carries, as well as setting up each store's exchange rate (some might not trade if the exchange is -10 or higher, thus they'd always cheat the player).

Thanks,
And sorry about the overly winded and badly explained set up. I'm bad with describing things.
Too make up for that, if anyone wishes to help, I'll name the main trader of the project after you.

You mean like in .hack?
I know what your talking about...I'll give it a try.

Edit:
one thing, do you want it any color or anything special.
and do you mind if other people see it, if so I'll pm the link (when Im done)

I've never played .hack actually, but if it's something -anything - like what i said, then that'llwork

Color doesn't really matter to me, a lot of the menus in my project I'm working on use shades of blue shades and a custom window skin set up, but if it's different it won't matter to me one bit - it might be better that way.

And as far as letting other people see it, go right ahead and let other people see it. I won't mind at all.

Thanks for giving it a try.

Of the four I'd say the first, upper left hand corner would do very well.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/sixtyandaquarter/60windowskin.png[/IMG]
Above in the spoiler is the windowskin in my project, however if you can't use it that's fine, as I like that upper left hand corner one as well.

This is something I'm also interested in. I'm in the very early stages of planning a game in which normal shops would be replaced by "black market" trading, represented by shops using a barter system, after an enemy invasion occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.