Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

ARGSS: Remaking of RGSS Player and Library

My friend, i just gotta say... you are doing exactly what i wish Enterbrain had done themselves to begin with, with RMXP from day one, good job so far, and i can't wait for it's completion. ^_^

Hi vgvgf \o
I know there must be a lot of people asking the same, but how project is going now?

I downloaded the demo and I got very impressed with this @.@
I test some big maps like 500x500 and put 600 events there. FPS was 16, and this is a very good result using just default scripts without an anti-lag script.

So, I have a question. After the final release of this project, all we'll have to do to use it in our rpg maker games is change the Game.exe and put the new libraries in its folder?

Ah, have you ever realized in rpg maker, when you have a dash script or something that increases player's speed that when you run, it seems the screen is unfocused when it's moving? A friend told me this happens because of rpg maker's graphics module, because of the way it draws all the graphics on the screen. Is there any possibility to fix this in your ARGSS?

Well, thanks for this amazing project! This is gonna change rpg maker forever *-*
See ya \o

db96bc32907cb981ac6a473ccfb40e0a.png

oh nooo
Running on Win XP, Intel MacBook (through BootCamp)
The center of the screen flickers too, flickering between whatever was last displayed there and what should be shown(http://gyazo.com/dbe9d88b418cf937adfaef8611605d14.png when switching to the window from a white screen, it alternates between that and the correct image)

This project is very promising, looking forward to future releases

vgvf I have a suggestion concering lags in audio. Why don't you open audio ports for BGM, ME, SE and keep them open so they're called when they are needed and only closed when program is ended. That would speed up audio loading by a quite amount.
Also, you should introduce some caching system for maps since it really takes a while to load a map.

I don't know exactly how SDL works (when concerning DirectX stuff I only worked with DirectShow 9, havent tried Simple Direct Layer at all), but I know for sure that if you fill that map surface with pixel data first and then show it after it would be way faster than doing draw one tile, show one tile, I'm not sure whether you have done such thing but if you did, you should try doing it this way.

Hi,
I have got into this topic and viewed it, and I have some questions:
-Will this ARGSS remove those annoying limitations of RMXP, such as lagging when there are too many events, limited ammount of variables, switches etc.?

-What will the support for full Ruby will give to the user?

-What do you mean when you say "More graphical methods"?

-In the original RMXP, when you move with your actor, and the screen moves, the screen looks blurred, as if the refresh rate is too slow. I mean, it looks like the computer is moving every single pixel to where it's supposed to be, but too slow (Or maybe it's just in my computer?). Will it be fixed?

-Will you replace/improve the tile system? For example, smaller tiles or some pixel-based system.

-In the original RMXP, when you move with your actor, and the screen moves, the screen looks blurred, as if the refresh rate is too slow. I mean, it looks like the computer is moving every single pixel to where it's supposed to be, but too slow (Or maybe it's just in my computer?). Will it be fixed?

I have the same problem. I was thinking it was only me but now that you say that... bff.

pd: ruby 1.92 is a LOT faster than xp versions. Also XP uses gdi+ for graphics and that sucks... the problem here anyway is that sdl isnt particullary fast, but it might be better than gdi.

I... Didn't really get what you said XD
Anyways, I also have the same problem as @BwdYeti has (With the white thingies), how do I fix that?

Ruby 1.8 + GDI:

coche-escarabajo.jpg

Ruby 1.92 + SDL:
1266435727_HondaNSX.jpg

Ruby 1.92 + OpenGl + ASM Interpreter:
renault-f1-266374.jpeg

Althought these last will need Vggf to become a :
monje%2B.jpg

pd:

-Will this ARGSS remove those annoying limitations of RMXP, such as lagging when there are too many events, limited ammount of variables, switches etc.? It will improve the speed of the game in general, so you can stress it more.

-What will the support for full Ruby will give to the user? First, a lot of new methods for the standard library so scripters can work faster. Second, full support for ruby libraries or modules, so, you can import or interact more easily with all the external ruby code. This means more things and faster.

-What do you mean when you say "More graphical methods"? It will be trully easy to set the palette,bits, resolution, and use or add any other basic drawn rutines.

-Will you replace/improve the tile system? For example, smaller tiles or some pixel-based system.
Exist scripts that do that.

woh RMXP uses GDI+! holly crap! I thought it used direct x! I mean it uses direct sound so it would make sense if it used direct x too.

Well you're close. Both RMXP and RMVX use DirectShow, which handles ANY kind of multimedia in windows. Try playing an AVI
(or MKV if you have codec for it) file as a BGM in RMXP or RMVX and you'll see what happens. :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.