Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Anxiety/Depression

Yo. So Something I have noticed in the last few months is that there are a ton of people in my age group (or even in gen y) who have anxiety/depression. At least half of the staff at my work takes medication for anxiety and depression and I only know this from talking with them (for all i know there could be more). Not only that, most of my friends who Ive talked to over the years take meds for this as well. I was curious if anyone has noticed this trend in their lives as well? And if so why do you think it is happening? And if not then what should be changed?

I've been diagnosed with both myself; fun!

I think a lot of it is a product of our upbringing along with how the world is today. You have wars left and right, people being shot up in schools, the economy, how difficult it is to find employment, ect. On top of that, you have those from the previous generation expecting us to live our lives and be better than them with half the opportunity and almost no financial backbone.

So yeah. That's a lot to be depressed and anxious about.

Injury

Awesome Bro

With the advent of modern medicine came a self-diagnosing and self-medicating generation of stressed out and anxious people.

A mentality of dose now, question later probably contributes to this.

Everyone seems depressed. As someone who has a sister who is constantly trying to kill herself (about the 16+ time, I've lost count and stopped caring), but never going through with it, I've realized that people aren't all equipped to deal with stress or depression the same way, but it does seem like a lot of people are constantly "depressed"

Life sucks, I know it. I've had a lot of bad shit happen and we can play the one up game all day, but I don't take meds for it. I get depressed all the time. I hate where I'm at, all the negative blah blah blah, and yet I'm fine..Yet there are people who have had somewhat lesser conflicts/issues/etc that claim massive depression, suicidal tendencies and more.

Why? WHYYYY?

Socioeconomical upbringing.

True depression is the lack of serotonin in the brain. It has nothing to do with what's going on at all.

I have Bipolar II and PTSD, and they both give me depression and anxiety. I'll never know why...

Injury

Awesome Bro

I'm more interested in why you have it versus why it affects you, ya know?

Why does my sister have this issue when she has hardly had any issues? Why is it treated with a slew of medication?

The answer is chemistry, honestly. Her family is known for mental health issues.

Either way, I don't think medication is the way we should deal with this stuff, because that is where it stops most time. Mental health services cost so much that most people don't follow through and get the psychological help they need.

We'll see when I get out of the military if my mind changes.

moog

Sponsor

i have anxiety, and it was really bad when i was with my ex (you staff guys know what im talkin about)

I was on Zoloft for a while but it sucked because I couldnt really have sex, i couldnt eat or swallow food and I always felt like my life was worthless. I quickly found out that just removing myself from the relationship would help and it did. holy shit, i feel tons better and i stopped my meds. I get attacks everyonce in awhile but I turn on my AC or fan and sit next to it and the sound/breeze relaxes me. seriously that is the best feeling in the world.

Mine is caused by other issues mainly, and harsh bullying in my childhood that royally fucked me up. Plus with the current events going on, and the worsening weather, the knowledge such horrific "people" exist and were worshipped (cliff Richard, Rolf Harris, Jimmy saville), that we're on the brink of a third world and second cold war, that we're headed into an environmental doomsday that corporations wilfully are ensuring happens, and that the world is populated primarily with dicks, some of which start elaboratively claused and extended sentences so long and unnecessary indeed that they forget where one clause began and another ends and don't know even if the sentence makes sense, life's just, generally, cunk.

Meds turned me into a creationless zombie. The other meds I need are ringfenced by a system that almost seems purposefully geared against people with anxiety or depression. That and the lovely people of the world are very vocal about my problems to the extent that even my best friends talk about stabbing such folk if they ever met one.

I also think, though I am not talking about anybody in this thread, that people confuse depression with being depressed once in a while. If you can come out and say "I get depressed, but I deal with it" then you haven't faced the same thing at all. If you can cope with it it's not the same thing, everyone gets ups and downs, but not to the extent that people with depression struggle with.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Princess Amy":os7j0iss said:
I also think, though I am not talking about anybody in this thread, that people confuse depression with being depressed once in a while. If you can come out and say "I get depressed, but I deal with it" then you haven't faced the same thing at all. If you can cope with it it's not the same thing, everyone gets ups and downs, but not to the extent that people with depression struggle with.

^^ This. I'm not going to lie...It get's kind of frustrating/annoying reading about how you have depressive feels right now, and it is probably because of my sister's constant suicidal crying wolf... Please know I'm not try to bash bashy bash anyone...I just think this is one of those things I need to work on.

Not selling medications is not profitable.

Selling medications, even if not needed, is very profitable.

Four possibilities can occur. A person who does not need meds is not given med. A person who does need meds is given meds. Contradictions also occur in this scope. A person who does need meds is not given meds. And lastly, a person who does NOT need meds IS given meds.

Which of the above scenarios provides maximum profits for the company that produces those meds?

This is SALES, not Psychology. But viewpoint of more and more people being diagnosed with disorders and given prescriptions is correct, but I think it results from selling meds to people who do not need meds.

I essentially agree with Heretic, although there's a lot more explanation behind everything.

Medicine makes money for both the pharmacy (to pick it up) and the doctor (who diagnoses and does check ups). It's become such a trend that most people don't question it anymore. But that's partially because it's the "easy way out". Figuring out what's wrong that's causing the depression and then addressing the issues takes a while, so most people would rather take some medication that dulls their emotions down and then they don't have to deal with it.

moog's story is really what needs to happen with everyone. The media is busy telling everyone that we're supposed to have these perfect bodies, which makes people question themselves. When they question themselves, they'll get scared and become controlling (which is why so many people nowadays are dicks, imo). If you get into a relationship (even a friendship) with someone who is controlling like that, it's difficult to break away if you don't realize what's happening. Not to suggest that moog's gf was controlling because I have no idea who she was, but the lack of self esteem is generating all these horrible relationships between people and the media encourages this because it all feeds into the money funnel (well maybe if I get a gym membership or buy different clothes or purchase this or buy this medicine...). It's becoming an issue with employment, too. Most people are unhappy with their jobs, but they feel like they have to stay there because we "need" money so badly and everyone is constantly saying that there aren't any jobs available. Everyone is so terrified to step away and say "No" that it's going to keep getting worse until everyone just walks away from what's troubling them or is medicated into a zombie-like state.

Of course, some people have definite chemical imbalances (I have a friend who does and legit requires the medication), but medicine is being prescribed to everyone who is depressed because they're unhappy with their life instead of someone actually talking you through what's really troubling you.

I'm here right now to guide us through the transition. There is going to be a massive energy shift when people start waking up and realizing that we have the power to say no, we don't want to live like this and we don't have to. The people in the psychic/spiritual community believe that the economy is going to crumble to the point that money has no value because, in reality, it's just a piece of paper or some metal. If you look at everything you're paying for, how much of it do you actually need? If we weren't working insane hours, we'd all have the time to make food and keep ourselves going. And the US government (not sure of other places) is trying desperately to stomp out anyone who figures this out and tries to live "off the grid" because it's "unsafe for them". What we've been told our whole lives is an illusion; we don't need any of this.

Princess Amy":1abx82sd said:
It actually bothers me when people say their depressed, when they are just sad or have the blues. >>

I've been diagnosed and am currently receiving treatment for depression and anxiety. I'd like to think the treatment works. Mom does have some mental issues, so that's probably where I got it from. I had a teacher who always used to say: "If you don't know whom to blame, blame it on your parents."

I have good days and bad days. Some days I don't want to get out of bed. Other days I work 12 hours in a row. This is honestly much better than the previous "I want to jump out of the balcony" or "I want to crash my car into a wall".

I can see how some of you are skeptical, since pharmaceuticals are making big money out of mental diseases. However, I actually believe depression and anxiety are under diagnosed. Considering SSRIs are so harmless, maybe more people should take them.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.