Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Animated Title Screens in XP?

Is it possible to have an animated title screen in XP since it won't accept gifs? If so, tell me how and if its a script, give me the script. Thanks.

There are two ways you can do this, but both require scripts.

1. You can request a specific script for animating title screens. I haven't found one made yet but if you want I can move this to Script Requests for you.

2. Using this script, you can have the player start on an animated map. In that map you can try using an event on Autorun that shows consecutive pictures every frame for an animated effect. Time-consuming, but it'll work.

khmp

Sponsor

Specifically what do you mean by animated? Are you referring the command window? The background? Something that will go on top of the background? And has nothing to do with either the title screen background or the command window?

I mean animated as if you imported a title screen picture but it would be animated like an animated gif. XP doesn't take gifs so I was wondering if there was another way to do this.

khmp

Sponsor

Alright so just the background.

Code:
#==============================================================================
# ** Scene_Title
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  This class performs title screen processing.
#==============================================================================

class Scene_Title
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Constant Variables
  Swap_Frames = 30

# Don't mess with the one below this line.
  Titles = Dir["Graphics/Titles/*.{png,bmp,jpg,jpeg}"]
  Titles.each_index { |i| Titles[i] = Titles[i].split('/').last }.sort!
  # * Alias Methods
  alias sope_animatedtitle_scene_title_update update
  # * Frame Update                                                    !ALIAS!
  def update
    # Declare the timer if it doesn't exist.
    @timer = Swap_Frames if @timer.nil?
    @title_index = 0 if @title_index.nil?
    # Reset the background and the timer when it reaches 0
    if @timer <= 0
      @title_index += 1
      @title_index = 0 if @title_index == Titles.size
      @timer = Swap_Frames
      @sprite.bitmap = RPG::Cache.title(Titles[@title_index])
    end
    @timer -= 1
    sope_animatedtitle_scene_title_update
  end
end

Ok so the most important thing is how title images are ordered in the Titles directory. 0.png will come before 1.png Title-001.png will come before Title-002.png etc. So make sure you have the ordered properly. Preferably numerically. But you could also use a, b, c etc. Also make sure your title screen is set to the very first frame of animation. Otherwise it won't look fluid. Uhhh at the top is a constant called "Swap_Frames" play around with that number to get different results.

Lastly to install create an empty section above "Main" in the script listings and paste the code in above. I hope that helps.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.