Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Aedemphia

Aedemphia: DEMO FINALLY AVAILABLE!

This looks excellent, I can't wait to play it when I get home. Thanks for your efforts on translating!

I guess I'll just edit my impressions into this post later, to make sure it's not wasted space.

Edit: I like the atmosphere so far. Music is nice, graphics are excellent. I noticed a at least one error in the translation, kind of forgot where it was, but I'll take note of it. It was more like a typo, though. Anyway, didn't get very far, there was a bug crash when trying to enter the upper floor of a house in the first town.

It's been a while. New stuff:

Quick update.

Animation of the new monsters:

monstre24.gif

monstre28.gif

monstre55.gif

monstre69.gif

animation8-cb65ef.gif

Anyway, the author is redoing all the buildings (inside).

muli_inners_echoppe.png

neme_inners_librairie.png

orma_inners_auberge.png

hyurne_inners_armurerie.png

lya_inners_lib.png

amy_inners_taverne.png

alyernise_inners_arniok2.png

iflare_inners_echoppe.png

tharank_inners_auberge2.png

tharank_inners_librairie1.png

Some latest art from the author:

tisseuse.jpg

femmelampe-d1deac.png

Enjoy!

Out of curiosity (this is my own initiative not on the author's): would anyone donate to see the rest of this game translated?

Let me know what you think.

C.

Hey there, been a while.

New video (trailer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWVsw0JA2Gw

In game video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_osIUVA7l64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1zTHfkQfx0

New screens:

ovar_inners_niurmea1.png

ovar_inners_maison1.png

orma_inners_pretre.png

Enjoy!

Wow, the main character sure has an impressive list of feats. Two travels to another world and experience as a co-commander for a large rebel army and that's before you even get to control her. You can also early in the game defeat a monster that a band of warriors couldn't handle, although you do have a companion at that point. It does feel a bit strange to play what's essentially part 2 or more of her adventures and having her previous adventures summarized.

Anyway, I'm going to focus on the skill system and other gameplay features since others have already covered most other aspects of the game. I don't know how useful that will be since the author of the game isn't here, but whatever.

First we have the exp curve. You need 100 exp for the first level up. The next level up requires 200 additional exp, the third level 300 additional exp and so on for at least as long as I've seen. That gives us a required exp formula of: 100*level*(level-1)/2. This is a very generous exp curve. The amount of exp you obtain doesn't seem to decrease either.

The skill system looks fun, but is very broken.

First we have Apprentice Gift. Since the effect of it isn't retroactive, you want to get as many ranks of it as you can as early as possible. It also has the effect of making anything that gives a lot of exp compared to skillpoints very unattractive. I think the tanner had a quest that gives you money and experience, but no skillpoints, so that reward is very two-edged.

HP increase and Mana increase are either useless, or the descriptions for them are wrong. According to the description, you get 2 HP for every rank of HP increase you buy. This would be night useless. Could it be so that HP increase instead makes every status point spent on HP raises the HP gain by 2 points, meaning with one rank you now get +8 HP instead of +6 HP? Ditto for Mana Increase.

Awareness in pretty much useless. +5% experience may sound nice, but it amounts to next to nothing. Let's say you for some reason managed to get one rank right away. Once you gain enough exp to normally reach level 41, this skill will make you reach level 42 instead. This means 15 more status points unless you get more of them at later levels. One rank of Apprentice Gift would have given you +80 status points instead. Worse, it's actually a bad thing to get more exp until you maxed Apprentice gift (what is the maximum rank actually, 5?) since you end up losing status points if you get level ups to early.

Spiritism also looks like a broken skill. It turns Irzyka into a portable inn. It also seems to overshadow other skills. For example, Increased damage does as expected deal more damage. However, the dual axe guy also has his Warfare that lets you do more damage for an MP cost. An MP regain skill therefore also gives you access to more damage. Four ranks of increased damage would do 300% damage, but dual axe guy's Iron Knuckle, or whatever it's called, also seems to do about that much. So instead of getting four ranks of Increased damage, you can substitute it with a single rank of Spiritism, which is good since that means more points that goes to Apprentice Gift.

Finally, the cost of things are a bit strange. Consumable items seems to cost about as much as pieces of equipment. Spiritism has so far however rendered consumable items obsolete.

So I tried to give this game a shot, because everything said in this thread about it certainly looks appealing. However, my attempts to play it have been cut very short by a bug which, while I could theoretically get somewhat farther in the game by ignoring it, is ultimately going to ruin it. And that is the karma system. The game seems to add some 900000 karma every time I move south (not in and out of buildings, but between districts), which loops around to also include six digit negative numbers. Apparently you become an Avatar of Good just by looking at someone the right way or something. Ironically 900000 positive karma makes it impossible to buy anything, because all items in a store will cost what I assume is the maximum ammount the game can handle and all items you sell are the same ammount, so you can effectively trade items with the shopkeeper rather than shopping. This bug happened consistently; I started over from the beginning three times and it happened all three times. I can't guess yet at what is affected by reputation besides prices, but I'm going to assume it affects enough that having alternatingly higher and lower reputation values than were even meant to be possible will spoil it.

From what I saw so far, everything looks good except the introduction, which is far too long and has hard-to-read font to boot. And at least at the beginning seems like it will have next to no effect on the plot, or at least the first half of the plot, since you've been rather firmly separated from all those characters and the world they're fighting over. I'll stand by an author wanting to flash his name on screen as many times as he wants at the beginning of the game, but I wonder if some plot-relevant amnesia couldn't have helped get the player into the meat of the game faster, or maybe just a summary of what was going on there rather than showing it. But then, I haven't seen much; haven't even seen the combat system, for one, or the world map.

Maneo

Sponsor

Hung like a horse":1b71z5dj said:
Out of curiosity (this is my own initiative not on the author's): would anyone donate to see the rest of this game translated?

Let me know what you think.

C.

Yes. I would consider donating a little, but that would be later on, because I don´t have that much money at the moment.

Anyway, I think this looks great, and I definitely think that the full game should be released into english.
Please translate the full game.

From what I played in the english version, the main character´s walking animations could be better, but that
will probably be fixed in a later version of the game.

This is one of the best games I have ever seen(commercial or not), and that it is made in rm2k3 makes it even more impressive. :)

In general, the game feels enjoyable and personal.

Good luck to you and Sylvanor with this game.

*I used to study french before, so now I´m trying to play the french version. It´s hard but the game is entertaining
enough to make it worth a try.

I really don't mean to bring this back up, but I finally got through playing it, and I have to say,

Props to the creator. I grew up with rm2k3. I use XP now but I am a stubborn old man... I'm very against RGSS as it takes away from the robust yet simple eventing system. So,
I am blown away by the work done in this game. I opened it up in rm2k3 and scrolled through the common events. Needless to say, my smile was ear to ear. This guy is a true hero of a time passed, someone who I can admire very much. I learned a great deal from "advanced eventing," such as the work of RPG advocate and Qheretic... but it pales in comparison to this. The only difference with eventing is the time and effort you are willing to put in to receive the end result, where -dare I say it- scripting takes away from that. It takes creativity to event. What I'm trying to get across is, this is much more of an impressive feat done with events than if it had been scripted in RGSS. And of course the visuals are stunning.

A lot of people are complaining about the inconsistency of the graphics. Well, you don't see completely custom RM games nowadays with FULL cinematic cut scenes, do ya? Clearly, this person has talent and dedication beyond the norm. The story was a little rough, but that's okay... he makes up for it.

Please tell this creator he has my thanks and appreciation as a fellow eventer. To hell with scripts.

---------------------------
Aëdemphia
???? irzyka2 ??????
OK
--------------------------- Got this, but it still didn't work.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.