Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

A very important note on legal fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Phew* And I was just about to release my game as a product of Bioware. :\ Darn.

At least I'm sure most people wouldn't be stupid enough to try, and pull stuff like that. The select few that do... Well, they need to get their heads checked.

Er... why would this get the forum in trouble? Surely *the company* know what a forum is, and realise the management have not much control over what is posted? (By not-much-control I mean it's the users who decide what they post, the management can deal with it but can't get everything.)

We didn't have any notices about how .ORG is not liable/cannot be held responsible for user-submitted content.

The worst we could probably expect would be a Cease & Desist order, but nothing will happen if there's no fraud in the first place. It's not fun getting legal reprimands, threatening or not.

Anonymous

hahahaha this is fucking epic

but yeah guys DON'T DO STUPID THINGS. none of you are friends with bob eggleton, so don't try to fool us into believing you are!

Wyatt":1u36v5y9 said:
Er... why would this get the forum in trouble? Surely *the company* know what a forum is, and realise the management have not much control over what is posted? (By not-much-control I mean it's the users who decide what they post, the management can deal with it but can't get everything.)
If you think we're pulling shit out our asses - I assure you we are not.
The simple truth is - it's a head ache, and one I'm sure TREG and others would really not want to bother with.

The fact is a notice can be sent and lost, and accountability can be held.  Notices to the users can be considered, and if a site is promoting an illegal action legal actions against a site can be held.

We aren't in the cut of "You do this of your own authority", sites that host illegal things for "learning" purposes or where viewing/using requires an agreement that the site is not responsible for any and all things hosted.  It's a far cry to say we'd actually get in trouble - but it's not even as far as a skip away to say it is bothersome and annoying I'm sure.

But the management has a lot of control on what stays posted, but true - very little on what is posted.

e

Sponsor

I tells you, John D. Carmack II is working on my new game! :shock:

I don't understand why'd someone try to affiliate his game with a major company; that won't make your game any better. If it sucks, it sucks, no matter who worked on it.

Also, you guys should all note that for the most part, this won't really affect very many of you at all. It's just a reminder for the very few members that pull stupid stunts like this.

Because there may be a little bit of confusion, no policies are changing. This announcement is reffering to something that we thought would really just be common sense, and there has never been a reason to talk about it before.

So to clarify to some of you who may be confused: Fangames are still allowed. Using company's names in parody or tribute is still allowed. Claiming that a game company is sponsoring your project is not allowed. It will result in an automatic permanent ban, the same as with plagiarism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.