Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

A complex event

Here is the situation and what I am looking for.

A party comes into a temple. The party consists of a mage, a priest, a paladin, and our "good" guy. We'll call the "good" guy Tom. The party meets the main "bad" guy, we'll call him Bob. Bob tells Tom that he doesn't really understand what he is even fighting for and that he has been lied to. Tom tells Bob to shut up and prepare to meet his doom. Then the group and Bob fight.

During the fight I need one of two things to happen. Either when Bob gets low on health the fight stops and Bob explains to Tom what is really going on and starts to show him proof or when the paladin almost dies the fight stops and the pally calls on the Goddess to save him. After either thing happens a Goddess appears and her dialog is based on at first which ever event triggered her appearance. If Bob is explaining what is really happening she appears and tells Tom not to listen to Bob. Bob then brings out an item and shows Tom that the pally isn't actually a pally but a fairy in disguise. If it is because the pally almost dies he reverts to his fairy form automatically and then Bob starts his little thing on how the Goddess is actually trying to wipe out man kind. The Goddess gets mad and transforms the pally/fairy into "something" and the group, with Bob as a member now, fight the "something".

After the "something" has been "defeated", I don't want him to actually die so at 0 health the fight needs to end, the Goddess reappears says some things to the group then takes the "something" and disappears.

Bob then tells the group some more stuff about how they need to go to a special place to get some things to defeat the Goddess and then gives Tom an item to teleport the group to the new area. Tom uses the item and the group is teleported to the entrance of a new place.

Any help on how this should be scripted would be very much appreciated. I know how to do the individual things like dialog and all that but I don't know how to put all the event triggers and other things together to make it all work.

I may be able to help you with this but are you using the default battle system or a custom one if it's a custom one can you provide a link to the script so i can see how it works

also are you asking for a script because this could be done in events
(although an anti lag script maybe needed once this has been made)

I am still using the default. And I am willing to use whatever works the best to make this scene happen. If you think one way is better than another just tell me and go from there.

I have about 4 other scenes like this so seeing how someone would handle this one would help me learn what to do so i could script the others myself. Mainly I will be using what I get from here to teach myself how to do it on my own. I find it is easier for me to see a working something and then learn from that rather than to just randomly try some thing over and over again and hope what I am doing is the correct and most efficient way.

I appreciate the reply.

from looking around the events you need are found in the troops part of the database and in the section called battle events there you can make events (cutscenes) that will activate when your enemies health gets below a certain percentage im not on my computer with vx on at the moment but later today i'll make the cutscene you mentioned in your first post and put some screen shots of the code so you should be able to do the others with out any problems

Right ok it's done

now before i explain what i've done there are some issues with the way this works
at the moment when Bobs or the bad pally health goes below 30% a event will lead to the next cutscene however if an attack causes the enemy to die then it will not call that event

there are two ways i can think of to fix this the easiest way is to just called the event when the enemy dies so while it will say bob is deafted the cutscene will continue as if he hasn't dieded the other way needs you to work out the hp of the enemies so that the players attack will not kill the enemy in one blow

also as you will see the map shows all the players party now this is just an event and the players will not follow you later on to do this you will need a catapillar script if i can find the link i'll post it but you should be able to get one by searching

Ok here we go

first of all i made a basic map containing all the characters present a temple and a couple of events that i will explain later
screen1ve7.jpg

This next image shows the first event page on the top left event
the red boxes show that the event is an auto run and that it causes the player to move towards Bob starts a conversation then starts a battle
screen2pl7.jpg

This screen shows the database enemies tab where you will need to create enemies for Bob and Bad Pally you can change the hp attack and graphics for you enemies
screen3cr3.jpg

The next couple of screens show the database troops tab this is where you can add events to what happens during the battle the first event page here shows that if Bobs health gets below 30% then it will activate a event
the second page shows that if pallys health gets below 25% then it will activate a different event
The third page is abit strange as this adds health to Bob when he is hurt this reduces the chance of a instant defeat which will mess up the events
screen4lq2.jpg

screen5fj7.jpg

The next screen shows the event page 2 for event on the top left of the map this event is very similar to the third page event however the first two dialog texts are different due to the fact that it is Bob that is low on health not pally
The event will only start when the 'bob almost dies' switch activates or the 'pally almost dies' switch for event page 3
The event is a autorun event and will start once you first injure Bob
In this event there is abit of denial in pallys part then the goddess which uses the switch called goddess and a two page event below apears transforms pally into a monster and starts the fight it looks alot but most of it is just cosmetic
screen6yd7.jpg

screen10ez4.jpg

This next screen shows the event that activates after you injure Bad Pally it basically opens a hole in the ground which the Goddess and Bad Pally jumps into before the hole dissapears the switch called portal activates the opening of the hole using a two page event which can be seen below
screen7rx8.jpg

screen8ld5.jpg

The next screen is the final page of the event it is activated by a self switch from page 4 this is where the characters bob and tom decide to go into temple which returns the game to the title screen this will not be needed in your game but it just finishes off the demo i'll post here
screen9ep3.jpg

in the demo i've had the code changed slightly so that if either Bob, Pally or Bad Pally gets killed (not injured) the event will continue as if the character was not killed you'll be able to see what i have added to the event pages as they are the codes on pages 1,2,3 that happen after the battle processing

Here is the basic demo you should be able to download this without any problems and be able to make any changes you need
http://cid-cdb3b20c6fae6139.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/TestProject.exe

if you do have any problems either post here or pm and i'll try to help you out

Darksector26

I'm glad this is what you wanted if you feel that my help was worth crediting then just call me darksector26 and when you get to releasing your game just pm because i would like to see the rest of your story

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.