Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

A 9hopefully) simple request for Skill Use Limitiation script

I am hoping somebody could provide me with what I hope will be a relatively simple script. Any help would be greatly appreciated, in the form of a new script, directions to an existing script, or simple advice.

Short version: I need a script that restricts the number of times a skill can be used in battle. In my wildest dreams, the script would allow me to input something like:
{23 => 1}
and skill #23 could only be used once per battle.

Long version: Well, not really long, just an explanation. I'm implementing a system somewhat similar to an Esper system, but with greater variety. Basically, instead of an Accessory, characters have one slot for a Gaia Orb. Gaia Orbs grant a variety of effects, from stat boosts to state immunities to constant states to unique skills. I would like to include Summoning Orbs. For example, a Summon Efreet Orb would grant the Summon Efreet Ability. The Summon Efreet Ability would be a somewhat devastating attack relative to level, but would be SP intensive and could only be used once per battle. Everything else is set up, from summoning animations to skills granted through armor equipped. I just can't figure out a way to restrict skill usage per battle, nor can I find an existing script that covers it.

Thanks so much for any assistance with this. It's really appreciated.

Edit: Also, I feel like a moron for the typo in the topic title. <sigh> Sorry. =)

Sorry for the bump... I'm actually just canceling this request. I managed to work it out myself with some frankenscripting. I made some changes to DerWulfman's Limit Break script, and it seems to work fine. So thanks again to DerWulfman, whose well-commented scripts allowed me to awkwardly but surely solve my own issue.

I don't actually have a script to show, as, like I said, I just made some changes to an existing script instead of starting one fresh. If somebody still has a suggestion to make this more efficient, I'd certainly appreciate it. It's just not very pressing, since my fix, while not pretty, seems to be functioning.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.