Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

4 directional movement, but only facing 2 directions

Hi peoples, how are your collective days going?  Good I hope, at the very least.

I'm looking for an RMXP  script for that will alter the way a character sprite is read, and the way that a character sprite moves.

I would like this script to function like an old school beat'em up.  Like Streets of Rage or something.  The actor and events would not change directions when moving up, or down.

If I am facing right, for example and I press up, what normally happens is my character turns and walks up.  What I want instead to happen is, my character moves up (complete with the step animations of his direction) but continues to face right.  If I move up, and an event triggers with a conditional branch of "if facing right" I need it to trigger.

So basically the ability to face up and down are completely removed, and when pressing those directions you move without turning.  Like a direction fix.  The events need to do this too.

I could simply make the character set face only left or right, but I'd still problems as the evented ABS wouldn't work (if facing left - do this ... but the character could be facing up/down which destorys it), as well as other things.  Including horrible aesthetics, if I made facing down facing left, in the sprite, whenever you went down you'd face left - regardless of what you were facing before - which is very ugly.

Like wise there are scripts to do this, but the important thing is that they do not work with the conditional branch I mentioned.  When you move up, in those scripts your sprite faces right still - but your read as facing up.  This destroys the whole point.

I hope I explained that well enough, but if not lemme know.
You'll be making your favorite administrator very happy - I am your favorite right D:

Have a good one

Yes, I had thought of that.  Although not exactly that, but similar - yours is actually a step smaller, which is better.

But events don't work out normal like that.  To move left/right/up/down and stay consistent with facing is too annoying for every single event.  And I've got a few ways of doing it with the player, but those don't work well on events either.

If there's a simple plug n' play, that cam do it all at once without having to do small event chains to events, or larger commons, it's done much better with less hiccups.  Even if it's not that simple, if it's something to do once, compared to over, it's better.

Ranashii":3i8afdie said:
Ah I see. So from what your saying, I'm guessing your trying to make somewhat of a platform style game?
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=29178.0

Would that be similar to what you are looking for?

Streets of Rage =/= Platformer

I've been trying to think through a way to do this with events.  Like, when the up button is pressed stop animation and direction fixed are turned on and the player moves up followed by a wait 1 frame, and else have direction and stop animaton off.

Have you tried something similar to that?  Because I don't see why that wouldn't work.

EDIT: oh, i see what you mean, that would have to be programmed for EVERY event.  That wouldn't work out well.  Ah well, least I tried.

mawk

Sponsor

Please don't post in a help topic just to spam. If your post isn't doing anything to solve the OP's problem, then it doesn't belong in the thread -- if you have something that might help, post it. Don't think that you're going to make him say "pretty please," because he already asked in the first post.

Ranashii, as xephyr14 pointed out... no.
Think -for anyone having trouble understanding me- pretty much that, except you can move up by maybe 3 or 4 tiles.
Here, see this shot here: http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/ima ... 06-001.jpg
(sorry, don't wanna hotlink and kill the image)

See how there's people standing further up?  It's like that. You move left and right, and up and down - but you only face the horizontal.

Here, maybe this is easier.  It's removing the vertical facing.  You'd always be facing left or right based on your previous situation.  EVENTS as well.

I think I'm understanding right, and I think this should do what you want, but my brain isn't completely with it at current. You want the character to read as "facing right" even if the last thing you did was move up? (for example)

In Game_Character 3, simply remove the
Code:
    if turn_enabled
      turn_down (/up)
    end
and
Code:
      turn_down (/up)
from the move_down and move_up commands.

kick me if I'm not making sense.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.