Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

2nd character follow behind main and interact

Ataeru

I may be new to the forums, but im serious about this

im messing around with RPG Maker XP and the pokemon starter kit. im pretty decent when using events but i know very little about scripting.

I already know how to make a character follow you in an event but its only temporary.

so my question is how do i have a 2nd char follow the main character around and interact when you talk to the 2nd char, much like pikachu in pokemon yellow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5er6tzpVD0Q
(for now ill use this video, ill upload mine to demonstrate later)

-you walk in an direction and the 2nd char will follow your last step.
-if you move twords your 2nd char then the main will bump/stop.
the second time you move into the direction where your 2nd char is at, you move into the 2nd char's tile while the 2nd char will move into your main's last tile

(optional)
-the 2nd char is also an action dependent on current script events (i think that explains it) much like when you talk to pikachu on pokemon yellow.

help would be much appreciated, in return if i continue on creating the game, I will add credit and a persona of the person to the game. (i will contact you by PM if do create the game)

a link to a script tutorial will also be appreciated.

thanks for reading my request.

You can use the event based caterpillar system by Zeriab. You create the event with pikachu(?) sprite, the script makes it follow.
Now.. what you're asking is contradicting: an event can be triggered by touch OR by action button. if you set it to Action button, the player can interact with it , but if it's event touch you can detect the player is 'bumping' into it.
Both options do nothing if the event is set to through.

But theoretically, you can have a script to set pikachu's event to through, when ever a button is pressed, just in case the player ges himself stuck.

Ataeru

silver wind":39b1703k said:
An event based caterpillar system by Zeriab. You create the event with pikachu(?) sprite, the script makes it follow.
Now.. what you're asking is contradicting: an event can be triggered by touch OR by action button. if you set it to Action button, the player can interact with it , but if it's event touch you can detect the player is 'bumping' into it.
Both options do nothing if the event is set to through.

But theoretically, you can have a script to set pikachu's event to through, when ever a button is pressed, just in case the player ges himself stuck.

0_0 well i was saying an action event for when you talk to the 2nd char. and a seprate touch event to do the detect bump then pass by each other.

ill look up zeriab's caterpillar system. if i cant do both events then ill just do the touch event, and think up something.

thx for the help.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.