Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

$1000 bounty: RMXP Resolution Script that works

Script Title:
RMXP 800x600 Resolution Script

RMXP or RMVX:
rmxp.gif

Detailed Description:
I have seen several resolution scripts, but they are all clunky and have bugs. Therefore, I am putting a bounty on a resolution script that works as follows:
-When game starts, resolution is 800x600
-When user presses ALT + ENTER, resolution switches between Full Screen and 800x600
-No re-size flicker (game does not jump from 640x480 to 800x600 when switching to window mode)
-Tiles don't enlarge in game window, but the map expands to fill 800x600.
-Panorama, Pictures, Foregrounds show on screen in proper location (if image is 800x600)

Amaranth Games Responsibility:
If someone fulfills this bounty, and I like the result, I will pay the developer via PayPal. If the developer lives in the U.S., you must fill out a W-1099 before I send payment. You can submit your script to: admin@amaranthia.com

Developer Responsibility:
-If we pay for this script, the developer MUST release it to the rest of the RMXP community for free with the GNU GPL license agreement.
-The script must not be created by illegal means (decompiling exes, rgssad files, etc).
-The script must be completely your own creation. No borrowing from the work of others.

Good luck!

You know, this requires more than just a script. It will also require a rewritten Game.exe, due to the fact that you have requested an automatic shift between fullscreen and 800x600, as well as opening directly to that size. That cannot be done with a script alone.

∫∆µ":3pi0len3 said:
No you could simply include a DLL or manipulate the window COM object using Win32 calls.

I'm pretty sure that including a .dll file has the same result of starting out at 640x480 and then switching to whatever resolution, which is what the author wants to avoid.

e

Sponsor

I've got a working demo. It's strictly C++, not a script per se, but as Glitchfinder pointed out, there is basically no way of resizing the window without it first appearing. And no, what I did is legal and does not involve modifying Game.exe.

∫∆µ":1mlt7oou said:
I've got a working demo. It's strictly C++, not a script per se, but as Glitchfinder pointed out, there is basically no way of resizing the window without it first appearing. And no, what I did is legal and does not involve modifying Game.exe.

Well, making a new .exe and using it to replace Game.exe is the only way to do this, and that could probably be counted as reverse angineering or something along those lines.

e

Sponsor

First of all, reverse engineering is a perfectly legal practice, regardless of what Enterbrain says, at least I know it's perfectly legal in Canada and the US.

Second of all, I didn't touch Game.exe, and it is still used to run the game.

It's impossible to do this from the Ruby scripts, as the interpreter is launched AFTER the window has been shown; thus, if you do it from the scripts, you'd end up with "flickering".

∫∆µ":2zhj9afg said:
First of all, reverse engineering is a perfectly legal practice, regardless of what Enterbrain says, at least I know it's perfectly legal in Canada and the US.

Second of all, I didn't touch Game.exe, and it is still used to run the game.

It's impossible to do this from the Ruby scripts, as the interpreter is launched AFTER the window has been shown; thus, if you do it from the scripts, you'd end up with "flickering".

It's perfectly legal until the EULA tells you that you can't use their product if you do it. Otherwise, yeah, I do agree with you.

Twin Matrix":2kkzkytm said:
It's great to see you here, Amanda. :)

I thought that if you don't directly edit the editor/Game.exe/you-know-what-content it's fine?

That's one of the murky areas. Even without directly editing it, if you have another .exe file that performs all of the same functions and accesses the same files, they still might be willing to try something if the game is sold commercially. Remember guys, reverse engineering doesn't just include modifying Game.exe, it should also include creating a replacement based off of the original.

e

Sponsor

Reverse engineering is considered legal in most cases, except when it comes to computer software; in most cases, even if the license specifically prohibits reverse engineering, when it's done for interoperability purposes it is usually deemed legal by most courts. As far as I understand it's still blurry.

Zeriab

Sponsor

The problem with reverse engineering in this case is simply a matter of potential contract breach. (EULA)
It should be noted that in some jurisdictions (like mine) for interoperability purposes is an unwaivable right and thus a right I cannot loose by agreeing to the EULA.

I'd like to note that reverse engineering is about finding out how the program ticks. In other words try to get back from the concrete program to a more abstract form like code in a higher level language than the machine code. Forward engineering is when you go from an abstract form to a more concrete form. This is basically what you do when you create a program. Reengineering = reverse engineering + forward engineering in that order.

@eth: I wish you luck ^^

@lambchop: You should note that the GNU GPL license is not enough if you want to use the script in a commercial context.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

e

Sponsor

Since I didn't receive any response from Amanda from my last email, I'm assuming she didn't like the solution I proposed to her.

The only solution I could conceive was to create a small wrapper application, a sort of "launcher" executable, which would launch the Game.exe but would bind it to a DLL, so that said DLL would be loaded first. This way, I would reroute calls to the User32 DLL and control the size of the window. That effectively eliminated any flickering at the beginning and in between going into full-screen and back.

The rest could've been done as a Ruby script, but that had to be done BEFORE the interpreter was loaded, so Ruby was out of the question.

For those interested, I used the Microsoft Detours library; very nice and easy to use, by the way. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/detours/

I'm wondering if this bounty is still available, or if it's been taken. If anyone knows it's still up for grabs, I'll take it. Or at least me and Glitchfinder will take it. We've already been experimenting with a similar project for awhile, that meets the specifications and doesn't breach any EULA.

I have an RMXP solution. Been under development for awhile. Just wanted to know if the bounty is still up for grabs. Guess I'll send it in and see.

P.S. @mawk: I think you're in the wrong forum. Or at least the wrong thread.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.