Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[£££] Vengeance Server

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... header.png[/img]

=====================================================
This is something I request a lot, I know, and I never get a response. I
have tried this time to make it as detailed and full as possible. This is a
PAID REQUEST, and possibly a percentage of earnings too (i.e. x% of
profits).
=====================================================

The basics

I am making a game called Vengeance. This is a commercial online role playing game, made with RMXP and a system called Netplay+.

I am using Netplay+ 1.6.3. Why?
- this is the version I am most familiar with
- it is already setup and running fine in my game
- in my experience it is the most stable version

I sort of... lost interest in Netplay+ a lot, in the extremely long wait for 2.0. But I did have a lot of time to play around with 1.6.3 and get to know it.

There is one thing wrong with my game, the server.

What is a server?

By server, I am referring to the program that the users connect to, not the computer itself.

The current server is not open source so it cannot be editted. It does not have MySQL access, and is somewhat buggy with crashes almost every week. As you can probably tell, this is certainly not ideal for a commercial game, where the standards are much higher than a normal game.

The server also has some key security flaws, one of them being that if you look at the screen you can see everyone's passwords, unencrypted. This means a print screen trojan (they do exist, one up from keyloggers), would be able to easily get everyone's passwords.

Why can't you do this?

While I am good at RGSS in general, and Netplay+ work, I am not so good when it comes to actual programming, such as networking, server creation, etc. It's not something I am familiar with, and while I have tried to learn, I have always failed.

What are you... paying?

I am paying for this, but an amount will have to be settled later. I have a large amount saved up, but obviously we need to agree on a fair price for the time and effort that would need to be put into this. It could be x percent of profits even, for example.

I will also give a free copy of the most expensive version of the game. This will most likely be the collectors' edition, on hard CD format with case, manuals, walkthrough guides, extras like badges, etc. It's only fair.

You will also be put in the official game team in all the credits, including in the manuals, etc, since you will have been a huge part of Vengeance.

Ok then, now onto the biggie, what is needed...

======================================================

WHAT I NEED FROM YOU

I need the server rebuilt, preferably in Ruby, but any format is fine so long as it is Linux compatable.

I also need a GUI for the server, though this can be made a little easier (I'll explain in a bit).

Resources available

This would be so much easier if it was legal to hack the origional C++ server, but unfortunately it's illegal, and the maker was a bit tight about open source and all that jazz.

So, the following is available to work from:

- Netplay+ 1.6.3
Possibly able to backwards engineer it (is that the term) to work out how?

- Netplay+ 2.0 server
This is a Ruby server for Netplay+ 2.0

The main catch here is that my game is in Netplay+ 1.6.3, not 2.0. This means that the server will have to use the exact same syntaxes as the origional Netplay+ 1.6.3 server, so as to avoid compatability issues. UNLESS it is possible to change the scripts.

The server

The server basically needs to function the same as the 1.6.3 server.

MySQL

This is the main addition. The server needs to be able to connect to a MySQL database and store player data and usernames, passwords, etc.

There will be two databases. One for player game saves, and the other for usernames and passwords. This is so that if one is compromised, the other should be safe.

GUI

For the GUI, I worked out a way to cheat a bit.

RMXP games can be played on Linux, right? (...right?... I hope). If so, this means the GUI can be made in the RPG Maker. I can do this myself, so long as a script is made with the needed functions.

The functions script will need:

-ability to view the chat log
-create account (username, password, member group, activation code)
-view online players list
-view registered players list
-ban player (timed)
-ban player (until unbanned)
-unban player
-kick online player
-kick all online players
-maintenence mode (only certain groups can log in)
-view and edit game news
-view and edit the player data database (for items, etc)
-view trade logs (for named players)
-chat (with chosen name)
-login! (to the server client, using admin username and password) for security
-log of what was done in that session (for security)

May be more, I'm not sure at the moment though.

===============================================

Additional notes

Please, if there is anything missing from here let me know.

I will be willing to provide you with the scripts from my game so that you can do this. But you have to agree not to release them or use them at all, punishable by death, by chainsaw / mallet / pie.

Whoever makes this for me will be a lifesaver for Vengeance. This is one of the key things that is stopping Vengeance from progressing.

For more information about the Vengeance project, you may with to visit:

http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=19951.0
http://www.vengeance-rpg.com
http://forums.vengeance-rpg.com
http://www.vengeance-rpg.com/wiki

Hmm, well, I currently have £75 saved up in my bank account... I don't know if that's a lot or not much to you, but to me that's a lot of money. I could also pay maybe £1 per game sold (well, £10 per 10 games sold to make it easier and to reduce the cost of sending). But that would depend on if anyone buys my game.

That sounds ok. I can even do maybe £2 per game to start with for a while, to try and make up for it. I don't know when the paid version of my game will go online, but it will hopefully be shortly after the game's release.

Just wanted to show you how much I've done.
When this is done the server is about 50% complete.
- = haven't started yet
-- = working on it
--- = done
<chat>                      ---
<0>                          ---
<1>                          ---
<2>                          ---
<5>                          ---
<9>                          ---
<10>                        ---
<12a>                        ---
<12>                        ---
<13a>                        ---
<13>                        ---
<20>                        ---
<attack_id>                ---
<result_id>                ---
<attack_effect>          ---
<result_effect>          ---
<err>                        -
<21a>                        -
<21>                          -
<22a>                        -
<22c>                        -
<22b>                        -
<22d>                        -
<22e>                        -
<23>                          -
<24>                          -
<24c>                        -
<24d>                        -
<25>                          -
<25a>                        -
<25b>                        -
<25d>                        -
<25e>                        -
<25f>                        -

<skill_id>                    -
<skill_effect>              -
<getpm>                    --
<check>                    ---
<mod>                      ---
<ver>                        ---
<login>                      ---
<reges>                      ---
<probably some more>  -

Hello,  I know, I got in a little late.

I just wanted to say that my brother and I have been working on a new online server-client system for some time, called RMXP-Online, or RMXPO.  In some ways it doesn't meet your requirements, but it meets many, and exceeds some. I know we jumped in a little late, but I'm just going to throw it out there as an option.

First off it doesn't use any of the Netplay code, it's been coded from the ground up. So it wouldn't be compatible off the bat, but my brother and I pretty much have no life, so we could make it work.

Also, the biggest thing, the code and network connection have been written in C#.  The biggest concern here is it may not work in Linux, it really depends on how well Mono works; I've never used it before.  But it does mean this server should run like greased lightning compared to the Netplay server.  Not only will it be able to accommodate a lot more users, but there should be a lot less lag than was inherent in the Netplay ruby network connections. This was even one of the reasons quoted as the "failure" of Netplay 2.0 in the developer documentation; which I've uploaded here.

Currently, Ruby’s socket and server classes are very weak and slow. This is the main reason we have “failedâ€

Like you said I don't think C# works on Linux and he wanted it in Ruby that's why I'm making it in Ruby, I could make it in Java (witch is the fastest and best language to make sockets in).
(Both Ruby and Java works on Linux)

PS.
Server: 75% Complete
GUI:    10% Complete

ye, as long as I get paid :P
But I also took some stuffs from my old servers so I haven't remade everything.

There's still some stuffs to do but It should be playable if you want to try.

Paypal, Sure!

It's not much left on the server(some small stuffs then some extra stuffs that you wanted)
but then it's the GUI, which I barely started on (oh and I'm making in in flash instead, will still work on Linux)

There suddenly came up a lot of things that I have to do, so I wont work on this so much for some days (3-5 days).

Hi,
I just tried to install Adobe Flashplayer on the server, but it seems Adobe hate both Linux and 64-bit users, so they don't produce a flash player that works with 64-bit linux. My server unfortunately is 64-bit  :down:

I found this on google
http://www.darronschall.com/weblog/archives/000258.cfm

I have no Linux so I don't know if it works, but I hope it does.

Wyatt":11350nnb said:
GUI

The functions script will need:

-ability to view the chat log
-create account (username, password, member group, activation code)              - activation code?
-view online players list             
-view registered players list
-ban player (timed)
-ban player (until unbanned)
-unban player
-kick online player
-kick all online players
-maintenence mode (only certain groups can log in)
-view and edit game news                                                                      - you mean "Message of the day"?
-view and edit the player data database (for items, etc)
-view trade logs (for named players)                                                              - What?
-chat (with chosen name)
-login! (to the server client, using admin username and password) for security
-log of what was done in that session (for security)

May be more, I'm not sure at the moment though.

are you sure that you can't get flash working?

The server is now completed!
Now it's just the GUI left,
and to make it I need to know if you can get flash working or if I should make it in something else?

Well I can make the GUI in Ruby but it will look different on Windows and Linux so I wont know if it looks good on Linux.
That's why I wanted to make it in flash because then it would look the same on all platforms.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.