Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content World Outside

Dead content awaiting restoration.
titlescreen-title.png

Anamei Productions, 2007

Download: http://anamei.net/files/games/WorldOutside.zip

Media
Here's a couple videos of the game-play in action (minor spoilers!)
Boss Fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkZ3S0eb1CI
Forest and a Fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2JuAKNo ... re=related

What is World Outside?

World Outside is an Action RPG created in under 2 and a half months for a contest. (It lost!)
Play length: Around 3-5 hours.

What is World Outside about?

World Outside was the rough story of a young girl driven on a quest by an unknown desire, and a younger boy looking for meaning in the life he never questioned. World Outside has a heavy reliance on combat and action gaming and combat customization.

face-witch.png

Our first protagonist and the more mysterious of the two, the witch Nera starts her first quest as a privilege of her new status as a full member of her organization. There are doubts about the wisdom of her choice however...

face-main.png

A young boy Nera meets during her adventure. Naive and honest to a fault it's possible his personality traits aren't entirely human.

What's unique about WO?

It's an action heavy RPG that uses the new CoRE Engine created to simulate accurate movement and control. It also features a custom animated menu system, particle-based graphics, advanced game options, and a combo-based system that lets you customize the dozens of skills to suit your play style easily!

World Outside was created (like too many of my projects...) for a contest and was the first 'testing ground' of a new combat system that I plan to use for at least one or two more games and was the prototype for a new VX combat system based on a brawling system.

There are a number of game options you can customize as well, from hiding numbers in combat to changing or disabling special battle music to difficulty ratings and lowering particle counts for lower-end machines.

Give me Screenshots or go home!

Screen1.png
Screen2.png
Screen3.png
Screen4.png
Screen5.png
Screen6.png
Screen7.png

Who is responsible for this?

Graphics additions: (Icons, tilesets, charset)
$t3v0
Euphony
Naramura
Tana
Whitecast
Zanyzora

Additional Script: (UMS)
ccoa

Other than that, Yaoumei and myself were known to have worked on it a bit. (She did almost all the mapping, all the custom sprites, particles, and lots of other things.)

KRoP":37fz18t8 said:
Looks very neat.  Is it a completed game?
Downloading now.

Yes. It was for a contest that is over, etc.

@Dark-Kyo: It uses a 100% custom-made system I code-named CoRE (this is the first working prototype version, I like to call all my little childrens (see: battle systems) funny little tag names.) Sorry, the only pieces you'll find outside this project are the Particle Engine which was ported VX.

Actually, I was wondering why didn't you post this game first hehe.

People need to download and play this. The game system is one of the most brilliant systems I've ever seen. On top of that, it DOESN'T LAG!!!

I don't know if this is the newer version from the contest or not, but the contest version has this stack level too deep which caused by F12. Not a big deal though since you can reset the game anytime from the menu :)

Still, I haven't beaten the game yet. Got stuck at
The barrel puzzle in the cave where you control Adelain :(

I don't know if it's just me but,
In the water system, she'll automatically turn up whenever I try to go back a platform, meaning I get trapped in after the first time I jump.

hima":3896noox said:
Actually, I was wondering why didn't you post this game first hehe.

People need to download and play this. The game system is one of the most brilliant systems I've ever seen. On top of that, it DOESN'T LAG!!!

I don't know if this is the newer version from the contest or not, but the contest version has this stack level too deep which caused by F12. Not a big deal though since you can reset the game anytime from the menu :)

Still, I haven't beaten the game yet. Got stuck at
The barrel puzzle in the cave where you control Adelain :(

The only changes are that I added the ability to hide the numbers and combo spam since I got some secret feedback that there weren't all that necessary and after giving it a try I totally agree.

I'm terrible about posting projects, mostly because I also then have to maintain the post, fix bugs, answer questions, and of course put together the initial post with screenshots and information... I usually prefer to spend that time working on my next couple-month toy project. :D

I think everything I've ever done has the F12 bug since I didn't even know for the longest time that F12 was a reset button. I need to add in the F12 crash fix code that Zeriab made... gotta track it down again first though! Thanks for the reminder though. :)

I think the key was to move it carefully in between the towers fire-blasts and then get the tower to set it off to explode while it's near the rocks at the bottom of the stairs.

To be honest though, I've also forgotten how to beat half of my own projects without playing through that part again. :|

ps. I can guarantee I'll never be one of the people to find/beat any secret bosses in USG; I was barely able to beat it on the easiest setting. I'm not very good at shmups. :D

@KRoP: Can you send me your save file somehow? I haven't heard of that one I want to see what's causing it.

KRoP":2nhv91xc said:
Sure. Give me a moment. :)
EDIT: Here.

Hum, maybe you can explain what's happening again? I got through the whole area without any issues, and no odd behavior when jumping...?

EDIT: Okay... very odd. If anyone else has this happening try to let me know in as much detail as you can what happened, must be one of those weird bugs that has a fun set of circumstances. :(

Huh, it's not happening anymore.  Sorry 'bout that.

I pushed one of the barrels like she said to and the game froze. Joy.
Ah well I'll come back to it later. :)

Using the new character who uses combo moves (name escapes me), I left the manor after battling Sam.  Now I can't re-enter, there's nothing I can do in the town, (except grab some new weapons from the now unbusy blacksmith :D) and I'm lost.  Also everyone still acts like I'm still looking for the butler, which is a pretty good sign this is a bug.
Please help, I can't wait to play more. ;-;

@Krop
Go to the east of the village. You can continue searching for Nera from there

@Anaryu
Haha I agree on making the thread. Too bad indie game developers like us don't have PR and Customer Support people to do this for us , eh? ;)

And I forgot to tell you about this bug (would be difficult to track though, I think :( )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/himatako/Clip-3.jpg[/img]

The boss is stuck inside the stairs! It favors the player though, and after a while he can get out. It would be nice if you fix this but it's okay if you don't. I doubt it happen that often anyway. :D

Yeah the secret boss was tough hehe. It's for those people who think the final boss wasn't enough XD

Your combat system is very chaotic based on that video. It looks like a constant lightning fast barrage of seizure inducing effects and streams of numbers. How the hell can there be any sort of strategic decision making in a system like that? Its literally a nonstop flow of numbers and the effects make you totally blind! :crazy:

Your mapping is decent and I kind of like the UI, but the battle system really turns me off of this game. I know the video was of an early version but I can't imagine its that much different now. Maybe I'll try it later I don't know.

@neverplayd: Thanks! I'll have to integrate that. :) And updated the credits... meh. Nothing is ever easy. XD

@hima: Wow! I think I can fix that, it's a passability issue from probably a lot of knockback. The stairs like that were hard to use and I think it'd have been better if I'd used the straight stairs to start with. Thanks for letting me know though! Problem with a PR manager is you usually need to pay them!

And the normal bosses were hard enough for me. I'm still amazed I managed to pull off the entire chain of bosses at the end!

Mazoku":3bn5ztg6 said:
Your combat system is very chaotic based on that video. It looks like a constant lightning fast barrage of seizure inducing effects and streams of numbers. How the hell can there be any sort of strategic decision making in a system like that? Its literally a nonstop flow of numbers and the effects make you totally blind! :crazy:

Your mapping is decent and I kind of like the UI, but the battle system really turns me off of this game. I know the video was of an early version but I can't imagine its that much different now. Maybe I'll try it later I don't know.

I know that version was hard to see on, mostly because of that thunder-cloud attack (one of the end-game attacks) I cleared that up quite a bit. There are also options to turn off all the numbers and combo warnings, and you can turn down the number of particles too, to the point where there are little to no flashies for you. It's a very action heavy game though, so it's a bit chaotic no question. The main strategy comes into play with setting up your combo strings to use the specialties of each attack, keeping attacks in the chain so that the ones that get the biggest boost from your power meter hit at the right times, and managing enemy position, etc.

Not every battle system is for everyone; sorry if the system doesn't suit you, not to be offensive, but I do these projects for my own personal enjoyment and preference. I really wanted to make a system like this to suit some ideas I had. So I did. I add as many options as I can to suit different styles and tastes, but again, I have no illusions that there are people who won't enjoy any aspect of this at all.

as someone already said... Cast Aside title was awesome... but this Title Screen is
something that commercial games must envy.  If a person can use a program like RMXP
in even one area here and there to create something which is easily commercial in quality, there is hope for it still.  I can think of a couple commercial games offhand whose title screens compete with this... but not many.

Arshes is impossible.  @_@  It took me three hours to get his healthbar halfway down, then he pulverizes me with some huge beam attack that I can only cancel out by hitting him! ;_;

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.