Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Word count

What would be a good word count for an rpg maker game?
Writing a script, I have a hard time gauging how far to take it. I try to outline but I'd like to have a touchstone to determine if something is too much or too little. Otherwise, I'm just gazing into infinity.

Depending on the writing style and story, genre, focus, etc, I'd imagine it'd vary tremendously.
I'm not a writer though by any means so even if I knew the context I still couldn't tell you :x

Someone wrote out scripts for some of the final fantasy games. That kind of overview gives me a nice perspective. FF7 is about 150 "scenes"
Which reminds me that the gameboy advance Trpgs I played were about 50 missions, so maybe 25 story scenes or more.

I'll have to try framing a story within a number of scenes. I can almost think of it in terms of animations, if the story was a motion and the scenes were a limited number of frames, I can then block in key poses...eh, but it's a little more complicated with game play objectives to consider, non-linear progression, and conversation branches.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.