Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What are your thoughts on Legend Maker?

I recently discovered that the old "Zelda Maker" project has since been reborn as "Legend Maker" and is back in development by Dream Mix. I was wondering what the community thought about the tool so far, and I didn't see any topics about it.

If you're not familiar with it, it is still in development, but they put up development videos here and there. Here's the facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/DreamMixGames/?pnref=story

So far, I feel like it just kind of looks okay, but I think they're still working on touching up all the replacement graphics they had to make after Nintendo made them take down the original version. I am definitely excited about having a maker targeted at this style of adventure games, and so far that aspect seems to be coming together well. It's really just the RTP graphics I'm concerned about. They do these long streaming videos that I kind of have to jump around to get through after they're over. This last one does seem to show them redesigning the main character to look less like a cheap mock-up of a blue Link and more like an original character.

Anyways, I'm excited and looking forward to it being completed. Has anybody else been watching this come together?

Artstyle looks a little charming (very pixelart like) but it may just be me, but I'm not very impressed with the supposedly standard hud. For a general ARPG maker is fine but since it seems so skewed towards Zelda in influence, maybe they should try a bit harder to make a more unique interface. The resource textures look fine but some of the mechanics are...meh, inspiration or exact mechanic wise. Again, probably just me.

The second I began viewing one of their videos on youtube (dungeons progress), I couldn't help but judge his mapping abilities...then again, I probably shouldn't, given it's a technical tool.
The block puzzle seems a little weird to me, but they didn't show exactly how those particular mechanics worked. I may be nitpicky but I took issue with the puzzle. I'm probably just missing something, but I probably more took issue with that the switches require...switches to activate.

I won't be fully judgemental though, so time will tell. This has loads of potential, honestly.

From seeing some of their videos, they clearly have more of the program developed than what's in the demo. For instance, I know they have some overworld stuff, but right now we can only use the "underground" dungeon portion. Based on that, I'm assuming there will be a lot more to the interface later. At the very least it'll need some way to switch between a variety features that aren't there right now.

The puzzle elements that are currently available are pretty basic really. That particular map sort of combined two different puzzle elements in that one scene, but it's using the basic 'hit switch to lower blue-blocks' tool with 'push stone blocks that are in your way' so that you have to lower the pegs to make room to move the stones out of the way. So there's really only type of switch involved. It may have been less confusing to show off those elements separately.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.