Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What are you working on? (Game Making Thread)

And I fixed a texture bleeding issue with the window skin. You could see it most easily on the Battle screen Actor Status window, which doesn't have the blue boarder around it. It's the left edge of the window back, which has part of the right boarder frame bleeding over on the window.png spritesheet.
It's also there on the main menu if you squint really hard, but it's covered by the boarder frame so it's hardly noticeable.

the trick was to toggle smoothing to false, which changes the pixi upscaling mode from linear to nearest.

Been working on porting one of my Minecraft 1.12.2 mods to 1.16.3. Things are going rather well and considering I started six days ago, I'm pretty close to being done with the port, special blocks and stuff aside.

I've been playing with more script events in MZ. Seeing what I can do, with existing functions, without rewriting anything with plug-ins.

Like, I made a Storage Chest utilizing the Select Item window.
I don't know if MV had this, but MZ's events have a stopcounter which keeps track of how long an event has been stopped. Which is convent for making bombs or timed behavior.

As "cute" as I think it is to have a "teleport" skill to change maps by calling a common event.
It's far far far more versatile to have a window prompt + eval() that lets me edit things in game. That's ALL you really need.

MZ's Show Message has an added Name Box feature. Which is so nice to not need a plugin anymore. And it works with the \P[] code that stands in for variable Party Members. But sadly there's no variable function to do the same with Facesets. I have a little snippet to fix this.

RMMZ updated from 1.0.2 to 1.1.0 today.
You can now add STAR passage to Tileset A.
Some more changes to the Character Generator, fixing an issue with frowning eyebows not matching skintones (but they didn't fix the eyes)
They fixed a duplicate window on a tileset, which they said they'd fix about a month ago.
Apparently there was a soft lock issue with AI controlled party members that can't attack.
And they changed a few things with how projects are deployed.
I feel like a lot of this update should have been apart of the last update. It's such a slow response time, I seriously doubt they'll be doing any major improvements. And it's frustrating, so much of it is self-evident. They shouldn't need us to be their eyes and tell them what's wrong with it.

I think I might have found a good 3 frame walk cycle for 4 legged animals. It might work with a little more tweaking.
v5o9n9mf9hzjjjk6g.jpg

But getting the right proportions is another challenge.
v1zd386oxi12llh6g.jpg

For reference I did a different Pony walk cycle a couple summers ago, that was 6 frames. Which I used to demo a custom frame plugin in MV.
j6jda82982fad226g.jpg

Been a while, huh? Well, it's with no small amount of shame that a lot of the time away has been spent on unproductive pursuits... such as playing the bad game by blizzard, and this hot new game by mihoyo.

But! That isn't to say I've got no work done at all, only my two artist's have that accomplishment to brag of! And that's because phillipines is being hit by super-typhoon after another, both are confirmed alright and the worst has past, but power nationwide has been effected and may take a while to come online.

As for me! Outside of the remainder of that cinematic and the 'run from evil girl' obstacle event, Zen Aneia's main story is finished. Sans polish and touch-ups and cutting down tri-force a bunch because 10 minutes of the player watching cool stuff happen is a bit much and i'd rather cut it down to a third of that if possible.

But anyway! Here's what the end of that whole area looks like! 15 minutes huh? Well, to be fair... I doubt many players will be reading all this out, I'm also likely to cut a lot of this dialogue down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64oSW0IjmU
Had a lot of fun with the voice acting, it won't be in the game... much as that has been encouraged by some nice fellows over on a certain discord.

And now! Some optional events to more properly build onto these fluffy fox characters all just hanging around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0fyLmfW9tkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrENv6X8H9A
Is there more...? i hear you ask.

Not a certain devlog we've no doubt been waiting on?

Today friendos... not tomorrow, I'm not going to pretend, it's today or never!

I recently blocked certain social sites again. Not that I need the help, I've been spending the weekends working on a house with no wifi or heat. And sometimes not even water depending on what we're working on.
But when I comeback to civilization, I'm just frustrated with how unattentive people are.

I've been dealing with sales reps that don't know anything about what they're selling and can't offer any support beyond a minute long video on how to use a power button to turn a device on and off.

Edit: and I rushed out the door without my power cord so I have to ration my 4-5 hour battery life across 2 days.

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

Currently on my project called Omega Force Hybrida: The game is being restructured to follow the real story and not some made up crap for copyright protections. Now that I have a full copyright and ownership to all my IP's (IE: XRZ, Solarisa, Elonny, etc) I can post without being so reluctant and cautious...

Oddly enough the game regressed into battles only with dialog in between and cut scenes. I got kinda lazy, but it tells the story and it's fun. All that matters. I guess. I'm severely lacking in the graphics department... It can be VERY demoralizing beyond belief. (Muh ego.)

I too ran into the "having graphics that look like artefacted rainbow catshit" problem but then i remembered the ancient sagely advice passed down to me from generations before...

GET SOMEONE TO DO ALL THE HARDWORK FOR YOU!

That money's going to go to gacha if not to starving third-world artists so easily-justifiable moral choices are a go!

Anyway i said earlier that it would be today or never that the fifth installment of Simian Scandal devlog would be produced and uploaded on my youtube chanel and after a lot of cantankerous bullshit and a bunch of screaming into my garbage mic because it has fucking deafman syndrome I finally managed to finish and upload the devlog as my ultimatum half-promised.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ9JjNNmsO0
I had so much fun with this one, lots of funny humour and me being hilariously self-aware hopefully and also one of my only videos ever to mention i play the bad game by blizzard and genshin impact.

Finally jumping back into game dev after playing the Dark Souls trilogy! I'm enamoured with Sprite Stacking again though. So I'm trying to make that work, though in a different manner than last time, as this time I plan to allow the world to be rotating around.

Sprite Stacking is a 2D technique, to create the illusion of a 3D isometric game, by overlapping sprites at an offset, with each sprite being one pixel higher of the object. Some examples of it in action by other people include NIUM, and this one with additional shaders and effects on top. To me, it feels like it strikes an in-between the voxel and traditional-sprite art. So far I have a test Construct 3 file, where I've gotten the sprite stacking, rotation and overlapping working correctly for one object and the player. I'm planning to sprite stack the player too, unlike the two examples mostly because I really like how it looks compared to the non-sprite-stacked player.

I haven't fleshed out my idea yet, but I'm thinking about returning to a streamlined monster-catching game. And as inspiration from Dark Souls 1, I plan to make it non-linear, with the intent that levelling up your monsters just has them learning new skills, instead of becoming statistically stronger. This way all directions are viable from the offset, and you can't outlevel the content to diminish the difficulty. And I actually plan to make 'catching them all' be a vital part of the gameplay, with a more involved catching process than just always battling and catching them at low health (which some still will be). I plan to have it so you may need bait, or traps, etc. And that evolution is more logical (e.g., feeding a caterpillar enough food will make it evolve into its cocoon stage).

I was working 'n studying effekseer. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to have animations reference in-game variables. It'd be nice to spawn a particle at $gamePlayer.x or move to that position.
I mean, I might be able to manipulate effects with a plugin.

*GASP*
Just check the GIMP website. They released a development build of v2.99, their last version was 2.10.22 so that's a big jump. GIMP has had a lot of problems the last couple years. Now, this isn't a stable release. But I'm going to try it out and HOPE they fix the table support issues.

Quickly gave up making sprite stacks manually with Aseprite, so bought some nifty new software (called Spritestack) purposefully built for it. Honestly, the actual editor isn't as fully fleshed out as I'd like. The export options are preeeeetty nice though. It can also do keyframe animation apparently, but I haven't touched it.

Of 64 seconds, only 29 now remain, for I have now gotten this beauty up to 35 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6TXDm_CeFM
I've really gotten better at giving actions weight via sound design and animations, like the pulse rings.

That's not all I've done though! I also got the next part of the main story done, and recorded / voiced this optional event that i finished a while ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkhnBKBGLwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhT3T4Gdivc
So yeah, Disk 2 is going well!

Turns out I praised the software too hastily. It doesn't export slices well at all (wrong pixels in wrong locations), then I tried another piece of software which has even worse exporting problems! Lovely waste of time and money... I'll return back to Aseprite. Though it is much slower, at least my damned pixels stay where I placed them. I'll see if I can find a way to make a Construct project which automatically loads files and displays them sprite-stacked when launched, to reduce wasting time to preview it.

I couldn't figure out how to get Construct to dynamically load images when launched, but then I suddenly remembered a free piece of software, from the dark reaches of my mind... MagicaVoxel. And what do you know, it actually exports as it should! Kind of hilarious that the free software does slices better than the two paid options...

I already prototyped some basic functionality for this sprite stacking thing (rotating the camera and collisions mostly), so now I'm remaking that stuff, but properly with comments and the like (for a better foundation), and also taken a slightly different approach based upon the experience on the prototype. I'll probably fire up a proper thread for it soon (or continue the one in the Incubation area? Not sure which makes more sense).

I've been struggling to get back into writing. Nothing new.

Last night in my sleep deprived delirium I almost shared the secrets of the universe and how you too could unlock your potential without the uninhibiting effect of 2am and 3 cans of coca-cola.

It is done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfes1Xl0ZQ
All that remains is the voice actress for Svoli to do her part and for my composer to do the music... I've already assembled the work order for ME 06 Malevolence, the theme that will play to this cinematic and the scene that comes before.

In total it all equates to about 7 minutes and 15 seconds, 6:10 for pre-cinematic evented map cutscene and 1:05 for the cinematic itself.

Pjcr has been hit by flooding that is up to his ceiling so power will be out longer and as a result, I've not gotten any files from him lately.

Xiie's situation hasn't changed. So for now its mostly me just working on the project.

My plan this weekend was to focus on writing. But I might shift to graphics.
edit: I ended up participating in a spontaneous cattle drive, so I didn't get anything done.
Although I did add some new ideas to my idea folder.

I remembered recently that I never actually worked out a fool proof way to make a match 3 puzzle. That was something I wanted to do with MV to make use of it's touch features. I had most of the systems figure out and a couple ideas about how to chain "blocks" together. Ideally I wanted to be able to highlight a tile/event with a click and have the surrounding tiles be highlighted automatically if they match.

I recently found out how I can trigger events to run from a common event. Not just the event, but I can specify the event page which ordinarily might not be active. This opens up a whole new window of possibilities.
And that's how I accidently recreated minesweeper in Rpg Maker. :lol:

I think I can refine it more. I was using common event calls. But now I think it might be possible to confine everything to a single event "block" which can just be easily copy and pasted.

Figuring out that 1 simple script call exists made my day. I feel pretty accomplished.

So. Hard. To. Phone. Post.

Quick summary of my rant that I lost because my phone is dumb.
Everything is dumb. Broken. Unfinished. Incompetent. Inattentive.

The mz script call list didn't have my discovery documented. The mv script call list has an incorrect entry, which is hard to see, and they linked to yanfly for some reason.

I have more to say about mz rtp now that I'm done waiting for an update and started editing it myself. But it'll have to wait till after Thanksgiving.

No internet. Can't sleep. Everyone is getting on my nerves.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.