Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Video Screen resources

n7mx24xzyxnm0j06g.jpg

bcopch51cxccm1s6g.jpg

This is a zip file containing images to be imported and used for creating video screen effects in rpg maker using "Show Picture"

• ScanLines
  • Screen Static
  • Liquid Crystal displays "Live" "Rec" "-Signal Lost-"
  • Play, Pause, FF & RW buttons

Download:
https://www.mediafire.com/?0j11d3dqlf5mdpu

I have yet to look at the other resources, but I did want to make a comment on the scanlines in your screenshot: They are very much an artistic mutation of what would actually be seen. Scanlines were a defect of old CRT screens, and a good example of their visual effect can be seen with the image below:

With a cut-down version of that image, I ended up making this as a quick example of what scanlines actually tended to look like:

ExampleScanline.png

That said, if you dislike the pure realism, then try a simple alternating pattern that is 2 pixels or so in height. The primary issue with your representation is the fact that the lines are far too thin in comparison to the distance between them.

I was aiming for radio or electromagnetic interference. My roommate always called it scanlines and I guess it can look pretty similar
tv-e_img_16.jpg

The difference being that the lines move across the screen.
I should have used broken lines or tilted it a little. It's been a while since I've seen something like that, my memory isn't very accurate.
But as for the scanlines that everyone tries to emulate for old games. I've never saw anything like that growing up. But then we used an 80's box set for 20 years before upgrading to a flatscreen. If TV screens were ever that crisp I'm feeling kinda jealous.

CRT screens were never particularly crisp, admittedly. As for the interference you're looking for, that's actually a result of several things, mostly a result of analogue signals degrading in transmission. (Especially through cords and cables and such.)

It's actually a variation of analog static, if you're curious. Scanlines like I tossed at you are caused by the screen itself.

Edit: avarisc mentioned to me that you may be looking for a Moiré pattern. That's the issue with the first picture you posted. It's the effect you get when you film an old television screen.

The whole point of a Moiré pattern is that the overlapping lines are at different angles. That's how I created this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIJ_heRok28

That's a fairly good approximation (and overemphasis of) NTSC static. For reference, it's that same overlay from my screenshot earlier, plus a static overlay of horizontal, 4 pixel tall bars, plus a moving (and oscillating) overlay of 4 pixel wide bars at a 45 degree angle.

I like it. I'm going to see about applying a kind of mask so the static is confined to a monitor instead of the whole screen. For design purposes. I wonder if I can apply the same principle to create static snow. Before I was just alternating between 2 images of snow, but it doesn't have the randomness quality I would like.

Static snow, as in analog static, is definitely random. Moiré noise can create something vaguely similar, but it's not quite the same. In terms of applying it to a monitor rather than just the screen: easy, if the monitor is facing the screen directly. That enables use of viewports and the plane class to achieve the effect. If it isn't facing the screen directly (i.e. not a rectangle), things get iffy quickly.

Eh. Ended up looking like moving snow. I know flash animators just flip an image of snow around. But I'm doing this by means of rpg maker's show and move picture that anyone can use.
Probably would work better as a battle animation. But it's tricky filling the whole screen up with animation frames.

Not particularly. A single battle animation isn't much more intensive on the whole screen than it is on a portion of it, especially if it's only composed of one or two components.

A battle animation sheet would be smaller. But I think it's easier to control a single screen sized picture then it is to set up an animation slide by slide. copy and paste. And if you wanted the static to fade in and out you'd have to to that frame by frame. It's tedious. And I can't really predict what someone might need it for, you know?
staticanimation_zps2229023e.png

I need to add static sound effects.

Sorry, haven't been on for a long time. These are so neat! Love em. I still remember those line distortions on the old tv, whilst playing my nintendo. =D

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.