Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Tilesets. What happened?

Hey everyone. If this topic has been brought up before than I'm sorry. Please direct me to the thread. I looked, but you guys have a lot of threads.

Well. I just DL'd the trial version of RMMV. I've used previous makers and had a blast, although I never really completed anything. So, I've been planning and was going to start a new game, most of the writing ans such is done. I decided to try out the new maker because I love the fact you can export to other devices.

Well... the tilesets seem to really suck!

I'm not talking about how they look either. So, I'm either just not doing something right, or... I'm not impressed.

Here's my main problem, and maybe someone can either tell me what I'm doing wrong, or that they suck. lol

There used to be tiles, wall tiles, furniture, trees etc - that the player could walk behind. If you had a wall autotile at the bottom, signifying that that was the bottom wall, the character would mostly vanish behind the wall but you could still walk along it.

Or, say... a bed or table. The character could walk to the head of the table (or bed) and walk behind it. The object would obscure the character as they walked along it, basically making you able to walk right up to it.

Is that gone now? It seems you can't really walk right up to anything?

Also. Why do the (Again, I'll use beds) go straight up to the ceiling (or top of the wall) if you only use a 1 tile wall? Which looks good when scaled against the character sprites.

Grrr. Does anyone else find this stuff a bother? Or am I just a newbie moron. lol

This is one of the reasons many stick to RMXP - after that tiles went seriously downhill. MV uses characters roughly the same size as the tiles themselves, so going behind things doesn't really work. Unfortunately it's kinda stuck like that.

I see. Kind of silly for them to do that, seems almost backwards.
I guess it comes down to the ability to either export to multiple platforms, or better tilesets. Haha. Boo.

Thanks for the response. At least I know it's not just me doing something wrong.

Maybe the thinking was to use those tiles as event graphics?
Inconvenient for walls, I know. My trial for MV is up, I don't remember what settings the tileset tab had.
In RMVXAce, the tops of mountains (tab B) have a "Star" passage on the tops so you can walk behind them.

SimplyEasy":37lom24e said:
I guess it comes down to the ability to either export to multiple platforms, or better tilesets. Haha. Boo.

Thanks for the response. At least I know it's not just me doing something wrong.

Rather than backwards, they moved forward for the market that they operate in. RMXP emulated well the Final Fantasy genre of JRPG, which is really popular outside of Japan. With RMVX, VXA, and MV, Enterbrain/Kadokawa went in the direction of Dragon Quest- which is the popular JRPG line in Japan. FF tends to move towards a more realistic and proportional world, where DQ retains a more cartoony/manga feel. This is why RPG Maker went from the tall sprites to the chibi single tile sprites.

Enterbrain/Kadokawa just took the more popular design style and went with it for RPG Maker. Remember, Enterbrain/Kadokawa/Spike Chunsoft are Japanese companies producing product for the Japanese market.

Tohsaka":2vh3j493 said:
SimplyEasy":2vh3j493 said:
Enterbrain/Kadokawa just took the more popular design style and went with it for RPG Maker. Remember, Enterbrain/Kadokawa/Spike Chunsoft are Japanese companies producing product for the Japanese market.

That may be the case, but the graphic style isn't what I was talking about.
The lack of ability to walk "behind" say... a bed... is annoying. Sure, you "can" walk behind a bed, if you leave an entire tile above it. But who set's their bed in the middle of their room? lol

Also, same as walls. I remember being able to make narrow hallways. You would walk into it, and the bottom of your body would be obscured by the bottom wall. Now, you can only make hallways that seem large, since you need to have an open floor tile, and then the bottom wall one whole tile under. Tables, anything really. You can't get "close" to an object any more. You're always one tile away, making it so you can't create rooms with a more realistic proportion. Everything has to be one tile larger than you may want, if you want the player to go behind something.

They "could" have kept the Chibi style, maybe... moves the sprite up on the tilesheet... so it could "get close" to things.

Meh. Not really much to be done. Save some graphic edits. lol

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.