Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

This Week on .ORG (December 7-14th)

e

Sponsor

So it's this time of the week, a beautiful time, a wonderful time; gather round lads and lasses, and let us remember, remember what happened. Actually, I'll remember, you kids shut up.

Announcements

Haxx0red
.ORG fell down to the hands of petty identity thieves during the week; many of you might remember coming on the site and getting slapped in the face by the lack of forums. Some of you might better remember this as an orgasmic moment, depending on which side of the fence you stand.

Long story short, a staff member left his laptop lying around without having cleaned the cookies, thereby giving access to the forums to anyone who used it. Permissions have been tightened and everything's being handled. Next time, stop, drop and roll.

More: Where did the forums go?

Tech Announcement
We'll be moving to a newer, fresher, better, cleaner, faster, stronger, bigger, longer server soon. Also, the forums will be undergoing a drastic series of changes in the near future, culminating in a rebirth on New Year.

Contests
Everybody who signed up should've gotten their secret santas by now, so if you haven't started on your gift yet, do so now before time runs out and we're forced to ban you.

On a more urgent note, to everybody who signed up for the WALKIN WINTER WONDERMAP001 contest, you only have 8 more days to submit your project. All entries are due by December 22nd; no late entries will be accepted.

RPG Maker

Projects
Activity remains low in the project concept forum, but nevertheless, jadecavy has posted a solid new entry: Maailma: Fabrication of Radiance. Under the banner of a somewhat clunky name, Maailma actually has more depth than most concept projects and quite a cast of characters, characters who steer away from the overused jRPG clichés.

Dark Gaia (Miek's hero!) has recently joined and posted a neat looking Survival Horror project: One Night. Following in the line of many popular horror survival games, One Night is set in the aftermath of a catastrophe, of, and I quote, "doomsday brought upon by humanity". Sounds familiar? It should, I suppose. Either way, it seems influenced by Silent Hill, so it's definitely worth a look.

Tutorials
A new pixel art tutorial has seen the light of day; Pixel Art Plus Cheating, by undwight, is a long and solid pixel art tutorial (from my point of view, but I know nothing of pixels and arts so don't trust me). Although hosted externally, it looks nice.

Scripts
Berka, once again proving that French speaking scripters are truly magnificent bastards, as released a script which pushes the limits of other Mouse Input scripts. It features RTS like unit selection, point and click movement, and much, much more. Check it out!

Resources
Since it wasn't featured last week, I figured I'd put it up this week; MaestroRage has released a package of free, "high quality" (quotes because I honestly don't know how true this statement is), tracks for your games: pick em up here.

Arts, Tools & Misc.

Writing
Venetia's been bringing skeletons in her closet with her old Bleeding Utopia. Worth a read, regardless of the presumptuous title.

Applications
A lot of activity this week in the Games and Application forum; hopefully Alexander will not cream over the forums too much.

King Kadelfek has released a new tool, which is damn useful for multilingual projects. His DreaMaker allows one to extract all dialogue from an RM2K, RM2k3 and RMXP project. You can then work on your script (as in, dialogues and other text) externally before reinserting it in your project. Very useful if you're working with translators.

Community

General
Other than the poor trolling attempts by despain, some cool threads have been (re)made. Moog's started up a Post Your Voice thread, which shockingly revealed Luminier to have a deep manly voice (in contrast with his ten years old body) and Venetia to have a kickass "dissturbating" voice. Also moog sounds like a faggot who likes to hump sea horses.

Being a faggot, moog's also been keeping track of everyone's screen names' history; post yours before he decides to invent one for you!

Symposium
Ever since sixty left, the Symposium hasn't been the same. Although it still gets activity, where are all the new topics?

That's it for this week. So keep working on your contests and keep shitposting! Christmas is coming, don't forget to donate to .ORG so the staff can buy itself cool gifts!

I'm looking forward to the big forum change on New Year's. Other than the forum hack thing though, did it seem like a boring week to anyone else? (or maybe it was just me, who knows)

Twirly

Sponsor

Dadevster":3fuonpky said:
I'm looking forward to the big forum change on New Year's. Other than the forum hack thing though, did it seem like a boring week to anyone else? (or maybe it was just me, who knows)
No it isn't you, this was a really boring week.

mawk

Sponsor

I know it's Dark Gaia and I'm supposed to think he's lame but One Night actually looks pretty neat, first-impressionswise. then again, it seems almost impossible for the RM community to come out with much in the way of horror games without just resorting to screamerspam in lieu of actual atmosphere and suspense. might be that a 2D medium doesn't have the right stuff for making the player feel scared. might be that everyone in the RM community just sucks at creating atmosphere. either way, it's yet another attempt at making a horror game in an RM, and I'm eager to see if it works out this time.

(fyi probably one of the best things to come out of the genre and maker is Gibmaker's The Longing Ribbon, and even then it's only a horror game by a very loose definition. it does some neat stuff and has a good story for an RM game, though.)

oh, and etheon seems to have forgotten this, but we are going to ban everyone who likes Twilight so e forewarned. not actually so don't make a fuss or I'll call you mean names

wumpi only pretends to love me":r6o1sy4h said:
that guys pixel tutorials actually sorta blow (and he sucks too)

inquisitor just posted a reply in that thread actually that is worth reading so don't remove the thread from this post imo but make a note of his reply

I wasn't here for the technical issue that took place but it's good to hear that everything got settled.

etheon said:
We'll be moving to a newer, fresher, better, cleaner, faster, stronger, bigger, longer server soon. Also, the forums will be undergoing a drastic series of changes in the near future, culminating in a rebirth on New Year.
Can't wait! It's always refreshing to start the year out with new goodies & updates.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.