Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

software engineering

What is the difference between a software engineering degree and a computer science degree? I am a junior in high school and need to start looking at colleges. I would like to go into a career in software engineering and more specifically the development of software/applications, and I am a very talented programmer. I've been looking at many colleges, most only offer computer science and not software engineering. would I want to find schools with a specific degree in software engineering to help better my self, or for my interests is computer science the better option?

You didn't say where you are from; so I'll tell you from my experience of the UK system:
Computer Science is a very good degree, which at first is very broad, but it does allow you to specalise a bit; it will open the more doors due to its breadth. And you would most likely be able to get into the same places as with the Software Engineering degree. Courses at different Universities focus on different things; for instance, the one I was at (Portsmouth) Programming was 40% of the first year's grade, plus it had a great emphasis on maths a unit on it in the first and second year being compulsory.

Where Computer Science covers pretty everything (programming, database, web development, etc), Software Engineering I'd presume focuses more on the creation, maintenance and integration of software (with databases etc). From my University, Software Engineering and Computer Science had identical first years.

DJ

Some guy that did RMXP before

I am pretty sure software engineering literally focuses on creating / managing of software
while computer science just studies from basic terms of computer programs and discrete mathematics.

But it also depends on college / university, So maybe you want to check out their curriculum first if you can.

( Currently I'm studying in department of Multimedia Engineering, and i can learn programming / graphics / audio editing /
composing blah blah, every stuff you need for game development quite much )

I'd say computer science is more likely to be quite boring, If you're already a good programmer.

Computer Science is going to have a greater focus on the "Pure Math" part of CS. Computer Engineering is going to talk more about computer hardware. Both are going to teach you how to program. I'd say both are good options, you'll end up taking most of the same classes in either case. I took Computer Science. One of the cool things about CS is that if you're university is anything like mine (Texas A&M) then you'll probably get a Math Minor almost for free because of all the math classes you'll have to take.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.