Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Runescape: Dungeons of Daemonheim

bannerLogo.jpg

Does anybody know anything about this "expansion pack"?

It is for free players as well as members and is "the largest ever one-time update to the game".

I haven't had chance to look into it, but it adds the "dungeoneering" skill.

Haven't played in about a year. Might check it out later.

Oh lol. Badly informed, sorry.

It's still "the largest ever one-time update to the game".

I had a play around with it and to be honest, it's fun at the start, but just like everything in RuneScape you can't keep doing the same thing over and over again because that's just boring as fuck. I doubt I'd ever play it enough to get even a respectable dungeoneering level.

mawk

Sponsor

hahaha. I know me riffing on runescape is a standard hurdle in our bromance but I think I might give it a try, too. all my experience (and therefore bias) is based around the times I used to play it around four or five years ago, when the goal for most people was to get rich quick and then show off the 2.3 mil that was sitting in their bank doing nothing. as a person who is beyond want for material possessions, it got boring quickly, but that's probably changed at least a little.

it'll have to wait until my internet stops drinking heavily and feeling up my router.

dumb question: didn't the game already HAVE dungeon-like things? what does the Dungeoneering skill contribute to, and how can you contribute to it?

It has dungeons in the "cave with puzzles" respect of the word, but these are more um... connected randomised rooms with puzzles in. Like Warhammer Quest, I believe.

More replayability than say the Underground Pass (a large dungeon full of puzzles and shit).

The dungeoneering skill seems to exist mostly for bragging rights, but there are a few items that need a specific dungeoneering level to use. Essentially it's just a reward for doing lots of dungeons.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeoneering

To be honest I'm not overly impressed so far after doing essentially the same thing 20 times over.

The thing is though, everything is tailored to your level(s) in these dungeons, so no matter where you are in the game it is fair and (presumably) fun.

It's also, of course, designed for team play rather than solos, perhaps thats where I went wrong.

I think the main thing that killed RuneScape for me was the natural removal of being able to train one skill through another.

Like this for example:

Mine some iron, smith it, smelt it, sell it for a decent amount of money
Use this money to buy logs and flax, and nature runes
Make magic longbows and then alc them to get money back for training another skill

But the trouble is because of natural changes in the cost of items (supply and demand), it is now no longer feasible. The cost of the logs, flax, and nature runes come out to a LOT more than the money made from alcing them. As such, there is no point in training magic this way.

I had a good system going, left for a year, and suddenly the whole world had changed ~

I only really made it in RS money wise when I found a Zammy platelegs on the floor (at the time we're talking 450k). With that I was able to get up to 2 mill, through skilling (not possible any more); which I kept as my standard cash amount until I think I merched something good (can't do that now either) and my standard cash became 4 mill.

I remember getting 8 mill together and spending it all on getting 60 herblore :x

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.