Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RMXP Engine made in... Game Maker?

Hello everybody,
I've been working on a secret project for about 3 months now and I think it's about time to unveil parts of it. I'm using Game Maker (http://www.gamemaker.nl) to make an RPG Maker XP style Engine. It's coming along pretty nicely, but still hasn't come close to RMXP's awesomeness just yet.

RMXP Similarities
Turn Based Battle System:
I have nearly completed the battle engine, I only need to fix a few more bugs to get it just right.

Movement and Tile Placement:
Completed.

NPCs:
Getting close...

Menu and Shop System(s):
100% Completed.

Unique Traits of my Engine
Mouse interacts with All Menus:
I wish RMXP could do that... Anyways, the engine can detect the mouse in all of the menus, not just the Main Menu system.

Diagonal Movement
I don't know if there is a way you can get your Actor to move Diagonally in RMXP, but it can in all 8 directions.

Negative Priority and Surplus Priority
You know how RMXP goes from 0 to 5 Priority for the tilesets? It can go from -99 to 99 priority.

Multiple Tilesets in a single Area
I hated it in RMXP where you could only have a single tileset per room. I made it so that you could have as many as you want and in almost any file format, (that Game Maker can recognize).

Is there a Demo yet?
I have one, but it's not recent at all. I'll update this topic when I have a decent download ready.

But if you REALLY want to see a demo, here's a link to the Topic Page: DIA RPG Engine.

Here's the updated download link: Beta 3.

-DF81
EDIT: Didn't see any rules about advertising, sorry. So to fix this, I'm going to turn this into a question: Have you ever tried to make an RMXP Engine outside of RMXP before? If so, in what Program/Language/Console was it based it?

Well, after five minutes messing around with it I would like to say good job, although it is a tad slow, and the UI is lacking. But great job if it was done by just you. I doubt that many people would use it though, cosidering it does not best RMXP in anything. But props anyways.

Here's the updated download link: Beta 3.

When using the Builder, there is an option to switch Design Modes.
(File-->Object Mapper)
It says that it is not Implemented yet, but it is partially.

I have made a list of the usable NPC functions, and have included them within this text file: NPC Functions.

There are other functions for the other Events, but not any that require testing yet.

Events: (Type in the Name to change events)
-obj_wall, Walls.
-obj_spawn, Spawn Points.
-obj_trans, Transition Points. (go to different MAP)
-obj_locked, Locked Objects. (Something that requires a Key Item to unlock)
-obj_chest, Chests.
-obj_npc, NPCs.
-obj_secret, Chests that are invisible and react to any direction.

Typical Calls:
-obj_wall-
Does not require any code, but you may use code if you wish.

-obj_spawn-
spot = <SPOT ID>;
destspot = <SPOT ID IN THE OTHER MAP>;
rm = "<MAP NAME>";

-obj_trans-
spot = <SPOT ID>;
destspot = <SPOT ID IN THE OTHER MAP>;
rm = "<MAP NAME>";

-obj_chest-
chest_id = <THE ID OF THE CHEST>;
itemid = <ITEM ID, Use: item_get_id("NAME"), keyitem_get_id("NAME"), or equipment_get_id("NAME")>
itemtype = <"ITEM TYPE, USE 0 FOR ITEMS, 1 FOR EQUIPMENT, 2 FOR KEY ITEMS">;
number = <NUMBER YOU WANT TO GET, MAX IS 99>;

-obj_secret-
secret_id = <THE ID OF THE SECRET>;
itemid = <ITEM ID, Use: item_get_id("NAME"), keyitem_get_id("NAME"), or equipment_get_id("NAME")>
itemtype = <"ITEM TYPE, USE 0 FOR ITEMS, 1 FOR EQUIPMENT, 2 FOR KEY ITEMS">;
number = <NUMBER YOU WANT TO GET, MAX IS 99>;

-obj_locked-
lock_id = <THE ID OF THE LOCK>;
key_id = <THE KEY ITEM NEEDED TO UNLOCK>;
locked = <WHETHER OR NOT YOU WANT IT TO START AS LOCKED>;

-obj_npc-
This is explained in the NPC Functions file.

Also, the use of GML is permitted. BUT, any use of "Blacklisted" GML functions will result in a Termination of the Engine.

NOTE: The Builder's UI is still very un-user friendly. I plan on rewriting it in C++ later on. If you know Bloodshed Dev C++ and want to help, that would be great.

Enjoy,
-DF81

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.