Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[Review] Jet Li's Fearless

Jet Li's "Fearless"

Genre: Martial Arts Epic
Director: Ronny Yu
Release: August 4, 2006

My expectations for Fearless were set fairly high after watching the trailer numerous times and recalling similar past martial arts epics (Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, etc.). The trailer featured scenes which seemed would showcase some spectacular choreography in the final product. I was disappointed after realizing that most of these fighting scenes lasted very short amounts of time. Adding to the disappointment was the fact that -- despite these sequences being executed well and definitely feeling like they fit into the story -- they all lacked the artistic feel that a lot of the fights from other martial arts movies had (Hero being a prime example). I was deeply satisfied, however, with the turnout of the rest of the movie. Realizing Fearless to be more of a 'finding one's purpose' type of movie, I shifted gears and decided to instead pay more attention to the story's theme of overcoming yourself and your past to achieve a sense of completion.

Jet Li does a wonderful job portraying a man who overcomes his competitive, mischievous ways and turns into a self-righteous person with consistent virtues and morals. If this is Jet Li's last movie, at least he went out on the top of his game. If it's not, then I can't wait to see what's next.

Final Grade: Pass

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.