Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[Review] Goldaryn Multiple Resolution Kit

I am curious how easily changing the map size while retaining the window resolution is possible. I would love to be able to have a map that is 800x768 and the window be 1024x768 so that I can have a permanent GUI on the right side that does not interfere with the map.

dagarath, I suppose the easiest way would be:

(assuming you're using 1.9 for fixed resolution)
In the following sections of the script change Game_Window::WIDTH to 800

• Poccil's Tilemap
  • Spriteset_Map
  • Game_Player
  • Game_Map

That should do it. after that you will have a black space of 224x768 to the right of the map. You can place your GUI/HUD here.

Also, just to make sure the message windows don't overlap your GUI or vice-versa find the following line in Window_Message:
x = (Game_Window::WIDTH/2) - 240
and replace it with
x = $scene.class == Game_Map ? 160 : (Game_Window::WIDTH/2) - 240

I believe that should work. If not, or if you get any errors, let me know and I'll take another look at it.

using version 2.0 or 2.0-sdk you call
Game_Window.change_resolution(width, height)
to change the resolution in game. Just replace width and height with your desired width and height.

This looks great. Although from the demo of 2.0 I see the battle scenes don't get resized.
But hey, if you use something like Chrono Trigger battles, then that wouldn't be a problem!

Although the menu is still 640x480. Might be a dumb question coming from a complete newb, but can you resize the menu's to, say, 1024x768 in RPG Maker, or would that have to also be scripted?

To be honest, the scenes are resized, the issue is that the windows and graphics would all need to spread out and/or resized to fill the new resolution. As the default menus would leave alot of empty black space if spread out and alot of empty space in the windows if stretched, I personally recommend using custom menus and resizing them based on the desired resolution.

And, yes, any changes to the size of the menu would indeed have to be scripted.

I can try to resize by request. If you have a custom scene you would like adapted to a different resolution, post it here and i will see what I can do. Also let me know which version of my kit you will be using. This can include default systems as well, just make sure I know which version of my kit you plan to use so I know whether you want SDK/nonSDK and static/dynamic resolution.

Bump.

Included versions utilizing Glitchfinder's input module. I am keeping the Aleworks versions up as well, in case anyone wants to use them, though only the Glitchfinder versions will be updated any further, if needed. Also added questions to the FAQ section. This script is now officially supported in four communities.

Not to complain about such an awesome script, but every instance of the script I try to run gives me an error:

After I click the "OK" button, everything shuts down. I get the exact same error with all four versions of the script, as well as if I try to run from RPGmaker and not just the game.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

EDIT: You can click on the image to see it fullscreen.

Foreverwhere":wbz1qq1n said:
Not to complain about such an awesome script, but every instance of the script I try to run gives me an error:

After I click the "OK" button, everything shuts down. I get the exact same error with all four versions of the script, as well as if I try to run from RPGmaker and not just the game.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

EDIT: You can click on the image to see it fullscreen.

That's actually a long standing error in RPG Maker, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody has actually figured out what causes it. It would appear that the program randomly decides that the .dll file is not appropriate, and refuses all attempts to coerce it to load.

I finally got it working and OH WOW it's amazing.

And every script I have used so far (except Fantasist's Transition Pack) is compatible.

Did Goldaryn ever say if he was going to make his script compatible with Fantasist's Transitions?

Otherwise, so far the most compatible with anything graphical script I've seen so far. :thumb:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.