Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
Ravenwood Horror

Ravenwood Horror

@Doctor:I'm glad you liked it. I considered what you say about the serial chaser, tried to make something that in the "labyrinth" but turned out really bad so I scraped the idea.
Also your epilogue shows that you searched the game enough to see most aspects.
See ya on the review~

Yeah, maybe not in the courtyard labyrinth, but in the manor itself, I sort of think it could work... have an event per room in parallel process, resetting every minute or so, that has 1/10 chance of making the homicidal killer show up out of one of the exits or maybe some special hiding place (behind a statue?). add the right music cue, and maybe a run option. In true clock tower fashion, just running to the other room won't make him stop chasing you, you either have to hide someplace (like in one of those bathrooms and lock the door) or knock him out (use the statue with the poleaxe to hit him).

Thing is, I had already made most of the game in its present form to rework the whole thing in danger of doing it poorly.

That being said, it will be in the sequel. Anyway any ideas that you might have for improvement are more than welcome. Even story wise.

Nyeeeh... I'm feeling very stupid, I can't seem to find out the combination for the wine cellar. I thought it could be the difference between the last digit of the date and wine, which nearly gets you the numbers in the clue.

Nope. You went too far!
Here is your clue:
The numbers for the password come only from the wines amount like said in one of the notes. The dates are only a decoration to show you in what order the numbers go.
Also the numbers 1,4,6,8 mentioned in the other note are the only numbers used in the password.
I reveal this because I intend to make this more clear next version.

I'm stuck!  It seems like there's a problem.

I got the Emblem from the chest in the bedroom but it won't open the Emblem door.  I also have the Balcony Key and the Cursed Key, but the only other locked door is the one to the left of the balcony that for some reason isn't opened by either of those even though there's no other balcony to use a Balcony Key on.

@ghk128: Here is the answer to your problem:
Use the Acid at the drawer lock in the left lower room of the second floor to get the Wooden Key to use on the locked door in the dinning room.
If you already have done that, then you must be missing the Bar Key. The corpse of the butler holds it.

Thanks, I found it!  I was sure I had checked it before but for some reason I hadn't gotten that key.

Now I'm stuck on (what seems like) the last puzzle and I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction or not.

It seems pretty obvious that the second word is 'gate' but when I put it into the statue in the middle nothing happens.  Also I'm completely stumped for the other two; I tried putting words that fit from the list on the white statue but since it doesn't tell you whether each word is right or wrong I'm not sure if I'm getting anywhere.

It's a great game; I'd just like to see the ending. :(

You got the 2nd word right, but nothing will happen until you get all three.

The answers are written on the obelisk of the weak, look at the words that come back often. The obelisk of the faithful and the obelisk of the infidel give hints as to which word it is.

I finished it!  My problem was that I had put a space in on the first word by accident and I kept looking for four-letter words. :)

I really enjoyed it!  Even though the tiles were pretty basic, the lighting and mapping made for a good atmosphere ("The lock is broken.  I can't open the door." was a nice touch).  Also the music fit really well; the save room music and the Silent Hill piece at the end were nice.  I think the combat scenes worked well--I liked the focus on exploration and it felt a bit more realistic just having to shoot once.

There were a couple problems I noticed though:

The endings were a bit odd; some of them have Rebecca as dead even if you saved her.  Also I encountered one or two that didn't say who was alive after the credits.  I liked when Travis stops you from killing yourself; it was a great twist as I had encountered the endings without him first.  Also, freeing Rebecca was a bit odd because it only said that the door was shut.  It might have made more sense if it were locked.  Though, I haven't played through the scenario where you go straight to the courtyard so I could be missing something.  I loved the Cursed Key, but I think it would have worked better if it were more subtle, like it opened a door early on but trigger a death scene later on and not just be a door to someone's death.  Also, you can walk on the mirror in the mansion even though you can't walk on the other one outside.

Anyway, it was a great game; I hope you make more of these!

@ghk128: I'm glad you liked it man!
All the problems you mention are fixed in the current version. You probably downloaded the old one.
Anyway thanks for the feedback!

lol I can't even figure out the "name of the master" to use for the first password xD
I tried every name on the graves but nothing seems to be working, did I miss a clue?
I only found one clue and that had no names about it.

I love the music, I seriously keep waiting for something to jump out an scream so it definitely has a good atmosphere.

EDIT:
ok I found the answer on another site you posted this game but wow, there is no way I ever would have thought to do that.
Plus, apparently:
it has to be in all caps to work?
did you want it that way?
just checking ^_^
I love challenges but I think if you make it too cryptic, it will prevent people from playing the whole game and seeing everything you have to offer ; )
But hey, I am still playing right now and I'll be back to edit this post.
I am really excited to see how this plays out, its totally different from anything I have played before.
EDIT:
I am really loving this but alright now I am really stumped xD
ok so I have triple checked every door, drawer and anything else I could find and I can't find anywhere to use my "cursed key"
I even went back to the very beginning and checked everywhere there but no luck.
I just can't get any prompts to what to do next.
I don't know which comes in what order but I am also still need to find the other ruby ( I found one ) for the other eye of the wyvern and I need to find the painting "Punishment"

@Crunkbanker: I'm glad you like it! About the part where you're stuck:
Do not worry about the cursed key, it's optional and you may use it later.
The first ruby is in the office next to the library and the other is in the wine cellar.
I hope this helps

min chan -
wow, I am having such a blast with this game xD
I personally love that things can just come after you and actually prefer this over a standard battle system because its more scary and that's the whole point =P
The music is totally creeping me out and I love the howling in the maze.
The one bookcase puzzle was fun and I felt the clue was actually very helpful and I didn't have to get any help with that one.
I haven't even finished this game yet and I am already hoping that you make another game like this xD
I love it <3

The four letter password to open the chest gave me a little trouble but when I finally figured it out i was like...nice XD
I am off to bed but I can't wait to keep playing. ^_^

Hey man, really enjoyed the game, good use of puzzles, I didn't feel like there was anymore need for combat at all.

I only had to refer to a guide at the beginning for the master puzzle, i new what i was doing but  i didn't know how to get the letters in the right order.  Other than that a few baffled me but I solved them eventually. 

First time I got:

Possessed
Missing
Dead

Is it possible to actually save Rebecca or see Travis again if you decide to help him look for Rebecca?

Who was the girl you get to see walking around the hedge maze?

Can you get in the cell at the beginning of the game, the one that says you need a key and there is a passage?  I never tried going back for it but I don't recall getting a jail key. 

Also was there any use to the sunset pictures or the rest of the pictures at all really?

Anyway, I really had a good time with it.  The only niggles were at times gameplay inconsistencies like some doors I had to push action to open others I just had to walk up to.  They should all be either touch or action button.  The mapping was a little bland in some locations... but that's pretty much all I can think of besides perhaps a little more story explanation and a little less reliance on so many keys!

Good Job!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.