Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Job Seeking is Hard :(

Hello, my name is Strawberrii. I am 25 years old, moving onto 26 this weekend, and I have been unemployed since 2007.

"Hi Strawberrii!"

Uh, thanks. My hope is that I'll be able to be useful once more, get out there, and help out Star with his financial issues. I want a purpose in life.

The point of this thread, is to get advice. I know you guys well enough, so why not talk about this stuff? Some of you are experienced workers anyway. Good enough for me!

To start off, I will explain myself a bit better when I say "I have been unemployed since 2007". This means that I held two jobs in that year, the last one ending in December. Also, at this time, I was not diagnosed with anything. The first job was at a grocery store as a Deli/Bakery Clerk. I was not very good at it. I could not smile at the customers, and I was not able to treat them well on my "off" days. There were rumors that I was to be fired. Before that could happen, I quit after finding a new job with better pay at a factory. It was easy work, but it was good work. After a few months, though, I was released. So was my family, and a lot of other people.

It must be noted that due to my social anxiety at the time, interviews were hard and the main reasons I got both jobs in the first place all due to my mother.

What did I do? I kept looking for jobs after a brief depression. Michigan is a hard place to find anything. I thought it'd be easier in South Carolina, but it's just as difficult. I am not diagnosed with Bipolar II, Social Anxiety, and PTSD and I have been at a vocational rehab center for help.

I recently attempted temporary agencies, hearing they help people find work. Of course, I could only apply at one in person, and 3 online. Though, I haven't heard from 2 since months and months ago, and 3 apparently is too picky (they told me over the phone).

I'm thinking I need to create a resume for myself. The problem is, when I ask for people's advice I get all kinds of different answers. "Put that you're making a game for X company" or "extend the time you worked here for a year" or "say you babysat my kids two years ago". I've also gotten different advice on whether or not I should even include my work history in 2007.

I'm pretty useless without a job, and I don't seem to have enough experience for any employer so far. I know employers see my huge gap in not working and immediately toss out my application or resume. I mean, what can I do?

Star won't marry me unless we have money, and I know one day he'll kick me out for being a "free-loader". I can't find anything; no employer seems to find any use to me. I keep saying I want to be an author in my future, but if I haven't written a book from beginning to end, how can I prove that?

Could you put freelance writer as your work experience?
Paid or unpaid. You've been doing something for the last couple years. You've taken writing course recently haven't you? You could probably put your instructor down as a reference.

My best advice would be to find somewhere to volunteer. Animal shelters, firehouses (you can help with their fundraising events usually), and churches usually have volunteer work available (at least by me) and they won't turn you down if you're willing to work for free. xD It starts some kind of a resume and you can get some references that way. And meet new people. :3

I actually got lucky with most jobs I had, meaning I've never been without work for long.
Did start late, but meh..

Just ask around with friends, maybe they've got something. Or just walk up to the counter, ask if they have an opening, and get a result. Yes = interview, No = try next door. This helped for me, but it does take the step of walking up to someone you don't know.... Which could be hard for some people.

Ah well, I currently do dishes at a local restaurant. Even that is experience :)

*work experience could also be internships or the smaller jobs you've had for a few months or-so, it ALL counts.

Work at a Walmart or fast food chain.

Being out of work without a degree for so long means you don't have the luxury of options.

Start from the bottom and work a shit job for a year. It's money.

@Coyotecraft - I took a writing class, yup. I don't think I've done any free-writing though. I had someone suggest I write that I've worked for a small team of people making a game or something. o.o

@Stardust - My BF (who drives and owns the house) doesn't particularly like wasting gas to bring me to and from a volunteer work if it doesn't pay his gas.

@LiquidMetal - I only have one working friend, plus my BF. They wouldn't know anything. I don't really have any place walkable to search out places either. I have to apply online, unless we happen to out and about.

@UWE - I never planned or expected to get some high-paying job. Crap fast food joint/grocery store is fine by me, but the trouble is I've applied at those places as well and it still doesn't work out. :|

I'm really not the best person to be talking about jobs, but good luck with this, and I'd say if the site says not to put down work older than 5 years, to do it anyway. The actual employers won't give a crap what the site's guidelines are, they'd rather see useful information on a resume than a blank one.

Have you tried craigslist for jobs? Usually businesses that are desperate for employees will post there.

Not only that strawberry, but are you doing more than just submitting applications. Usually when I turn in an application, I ask for a manager and greet him/her.

If I don't get a call back, usually I will call and ask about the application. The more aggressive you are about getting a job, the greater likelihood you will get one. But I don't know your whole situation.

Honestly strawberry, most chains who need employees are looking for people who are willing to do the job rather than experience. If you appear like you really want and need the job then you will probably be chosen over someone who just fills in their application and turns it in, no matter the experience level.

I try everywhere for jobs. :D

Anyhoo, I have some actual questions now about resumes and such:

Regardless of what job(s) I'm going for, I should always have it updated, right?

*looks at current resume*

It gives a list of skills I have - about 8 or 10 of them. Maybe slightly more. It also mentions both jobs from 2007 (each lasting only about 3 months). Should I keep those on there?

It also mentions the vocational rehabilitation center that I was at for about half a year. I suppose I should keep that? It's recent (2012 was the ending year).

Is that really all I would need?

I want to look as professional, and productive as I can.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.