Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Issue 8 - November 2009

eZine Issue 8

issue8.png

Download: PNG - PDF

You may use this thread to discuss this issue.

This was just to test out a new way of doing eZines, but I got bored and felt like moving it here and also it's my birthday so suck it.

IF we start the eZines properly again expect more articles, better background images, and less inane "humour"!

Advantages over the old PDF system:

- No downloads required
- Can add interactive elements such as guitar.swf
- Can add hyperlinks, a "free demo CD" style dealie with hyperlinks, etc
- Can be edited whenever and by whoever needs to
- Fast to make (this has took a day but it's only really a sample)
- Doesn't rely on hosting (if hosting for the large pdf goes down... forums are still here)

Disadvantages over the old PDF system:

- Isn't printable as a magazine
- Resolution has to be fixed to keep the aspect ratio (same with a PDF but PDF's are more... scalable? etc)

cool. i'll read through this in more detail later.

serous suggestion: cut the music. it's fine in gimmicky threads and stuff but you want people to actually READ this, right? the music prevents people from wanting to spend a lot of time on the page

also it's not your birthday it's my birthday

:box:

Been working on the template for the next issue (the first PROPER issue); added a dynamic contents page with local urls to all the content so it should be easier to navigate. ~

If anyone has anything they want to submit to the next issue feel free to PM me.

@noise:
Yeah I know. I still like the idea of background music though perhaps an on/off toggle would be better. It's guitar.swf by the way which is kinda the point lol.

mawk

Sponsor

serous suggestion: cut the music. it's fine in gimmicky threads and stuff but you want people to actually READ this, right? the music prevents people from wanting to spend a lot of time on the page
"music"

this isn't music, son

it's guitar.swf

it breaks down the walls of music and brings unity to the downtrodden

it is the froth in the stein of bliss

like seriously man when did your sense of humour and whimsy completely bite the big dirt sandwich? do you have to be the one fucking around before you notice "oh hey it's just fucking around"

I mean say what you will about the management but they're at least more competent than you give them credit for

(also runescape is terrible forever no matter what)

(it is not graphics or mechanics that make it so, it is that the sole goal for most people is to get filthy rich and then brag about all the money that is in their bank account and will never be used ever)

(it is not graphics or mechanics that make it so, it is that the sole goal for most people is to get filthy rich and then brag about all the money that is in their bank account and will never be used ever)

It's the people you have a problem with then not the game. I always have public chat off, and clan chat on. Better than way ~ but yeah. GUYS I HAVE SEVEN 99'S AND THREE PARTY HATS /me youtubes

i remember back in the day when i was a runescape coal tycoon

i had all the noobs working for me and everything

i was on top of the world, and it's all been downhill since then :eek:uch:

dr. goodlife":3ld28nwv said:
"music"

this isn't music, son

it's guitar.swf

it breaks down the walls of music and brings unity to the downtrodden

it is the froth in the stein of bliss

like seriously man when did your sense of humour and whimsy completely bite the big dirt sandwich? do you have to be the one fucking around before you notice "oh hey it's just fucking around"

yeah it was before i realized this wasn't a "legitimate" issue of the ezine so nvm it's fine but it would be distracting in future issues where you want people to really read the content

The next issue is pretty much finished and ready for release; if anyone has anything to add it would still be incredibly useful. Check the feedback thread if you have any ideas.

The next issue is 15 pages same as this, but pages are columned, articles are more serious in nature and length, and the page size is a rather larger 750x1000 in size.

Will be out on December 19th (exactly a month after this one) - be there or be square!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.