Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Island Map Remake - Photoshop Request

Hey everyone, I've made a world map using the Inquisitor tileset for my game Odyssey that's coming out soon.

I'm trying to make it look like an antique, and add a compass rose either the upper right or lower left corner. The map should be 640x480. If anyone with some Photoshop experience is willing to take up the challenge, it'd be a really great help, and I'd be willing to help you in return if possible. The version in the spoiler is a larger version of the map to show some of the more detail. I've included some examples of the type of style I'm looking for below. Thanks!

HthlDHq.png

Normal toned version:

96h7qbu.png

DqcNYWL.png

6ctpPQ3.jpg

a0HeUtt.png

7c9QvUU.jpg

1SNZ939.jpg

eUXnzGr.jpg

IKDJqP5.jpg

Injury

Awesome Bro

2rcpdmb.png

Just a quick take on it. You can sit there and separate your water layer, sepia tone it, then select the inside layer and mess around with it. Or just take out your water layer and have the land on the map in general. There are tons of free brush strokes for maps, like compasses and shiz.

For the paper map look, textured layers at half opactiy to bring out the crinkles or brushes with paper qualities.

Just get Gimp and play around with it, it's free!

Thanks for taking a stab at it Injury, I appreciate it. Still not quite what I'm looking for, but it's certainly a start. I'll have to look into Gimp and see if I can come up with something. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the water layer entirely and just place the land layers onto a map textured background, but you gave some good pointers. Thanks!

Edited the first post with a Sepia version of the map, now I'm just looking to make it look aged and old-timey!

The Styria one above is probably best hand drawn then scanned and photoshopped. Other than that the best I managed for my game on a pc was http://afar.ws/img/mapbase.png but I doubt that's good enough as I'm not happy with it myself. The Styria one though is like the maps in Tolkien or Redwall and turn out best drawn by hand. Then go old school and use tea stained paper ( :tongue: ) or doctor it on pc to add the sepia textures.

Something like the Golborag one would be fairly simple though, i'll have a go for fun tomorrow if I remember.

Hey Amy, that's not bad at all! I'd love to hand draw the map at some point to give it that authentic pirate map kind of look. Here's what I came up with after messing around with Gimp for a bit. It's still a WIP, but I'm having fun experimenting with different textures and brushes.

pMw7Z0b.png

I think you'll go the furthest if you create an outline in the first step, then proceed to fill it in rather than applying effects to the image; a map wouldn't be an aged photograph, neither would it be a highly detailed art piece.

Looking good though, Ace.

Thanks for the input ZenVirZan, I'm inclined to agree. My best bet would to be to try to trace over the existing image with a ink pen, then scan and upload the outline to an aged paper texture, and go from there. This is the final attempt for now, I might revisit this after I get a Beta release out. I'm much happier with the way this turned out versus the original colored version I was using.

9wl5KTw.png

The arrow shows the players current location, you can hover the circle cursor over any locations you have already visited, and the banner at the top shows the location name that's currently highlighted.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.