Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Help with Choppy Movement! GM8

Firstly I'm a complete beginner with game maker so forgive my ignorance.
Secondly I'm using Game Maker 8 pro if that even makes a difference.
Thirdly I already posted this at yo yo games but the guys their don't care.

I am making a basic rpg game and I am having issues with the movement, the movement works but the problem is that its not smooth and feels a little choppy.

Here is what I have done:

>I have made sprites for the still poses and movement ( animated ) moving up, down, left and right.
>I then made one object to represent the character, by default I made it face down.
>here is an algorithm representing the code in the object:

Key Press up> Start moving Up, Speed 4> Change Sprite Animation Up, Speed 1
Key Release up> Start moving Center, Speed 0> Change Sprite Still Up, Speed 1

Key Press left> Start moving Left, Speed 4> Change Sprite Animation Left, Speed 1
Key Release left> Start moving Center, Speed 0> Change Sprite Still Left, Speed 1

e.t.c for right, down

I suspect the "choppynes" is from the speed settings but another issue is that I HAVE to release the key and
then press another key or the sprite freezes. e.g when I press up and move up, I have to release then press
and hold right e.t.c, it feels really primitive as most games allow you to quickly interchange direction without
having to first release the key.

I am making an action rpg so this is actually a huge issue. I hope someone can help me with this... I'm slowly being lured back to rpg maker but the games mechanics would be a lot more suited to GM.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.