Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

French is gay; also: hello again

Hi! I've been away for some time.

I'm learning French! It's pretty gay. Le cheval mange une banane. Elle est une petit chienne. All words sound like they're pronounced the same and gender-possessive nouns make no sense. Why the fuck are bananas female and sandwiches male. Come on, French people. Jesus. Also: WTF is going on with all these letters that you throw in without even ATTEMPTING to pronounce. Fuck. Like, English has some silent "e"s but there is like no sound-difference between "est" vs. "et" or "Il" vs. "Elle", or singular nouns vs. plurals, how does anyone ever understand what other people are saying, jesus christ.

Anyway I'm learning it b/c we're seriously considering moving to Canada in the next 5 years! Probably Vancouver but we will travel and see what we like best.

Also: I'm 30 in 2 days! Holy shit I'm old! Look at all my olds! They're flopping everywhere!

Plus: Our new house is almost finished with interior renovations and we move in early next month. Whee! My office is all teal! How exciting.

Also: we are throwing a big Halloween party and it's gonna be baller as fuck.

Lastly: My site's newest iteration has launched, and as of this week, I should be back on a normal 9-5 schedule! Happy birthday to me.

I think that's about it for what's new with me.

How are you?

Hey, stranger! You should stop by more often. It's great to see you around, though. :biggrin: What prompted the idea to move to Canada, and what are you going to do about visas? Are you in a profession that makes it easy to get a work visa there?

As for me, I'm in my last year of college now. I just got a job offer from Microsoft and am going out to Seattle in a few days to check out the Redmond campus. So that's the big thing for me right now.

Heya Ven! Nice to see you back! :)
I always hated French in school but keep it up. New languages are cool.
30 isn't too old. Kojima is 51 and still making awesome games. Glad to hear your house is done.
I can't wait for halloween! I'm not doing anything for it though. Enjoy yer party. Post costumes?
Good luck with your site! And happy birthday!

I'm still working for free. My dads still not good but he's supposedly getting just over 1/2 a million in compensation.
Life is okay.

Welcome back!

Juan J. Sánchez":1u0j6mh2 said:
It's difficult learning from from an English base. Gender possessive nouns make a lot more sense coming from other languages.
Because a key is definitely female unless you are from Germany where a key is male?
I think gender possessive nouns make zero sense no matter where you're coming from, I think it's a by-product from ancient Greek and Latin where they are used extensively and extend into people's names, which might make sense when you have strict gender roles where a man is expected to do farming so a farmer is always referred to as male, but this makes less sense when in a world where someone's tools and profession no-longer defines who they are.

ANYWAY, welcome back Ven, French is a nice language when you get to doing conversations; you start to feel like you're pretending to put on a fake accent and it becomes fun to try and put on as French of an accent as possible.
If you're confused about if a word pronounces a letter/group of letters at the end take the safe option and don't pronounce it and unlike in the USA where some names have no indication of vowel accents French has a collection of vowel accents that will tell you if a letter is used or not in the middle of a word and how strongly it is used.

Hello Ven! *waves*

I missed you! I'm the same; still writing books and preparing for National Novel Writing Month soon. 30 isn't old! That means I'm almost old too! I'll be 27 in 4 months. ;_;

Hope to see you around. ^^

Spoo

Sponsor

Ven! I wasn't sure if you were busy or just immersed in Wasteland 2 for a couple months.

Welcome to the language learning club, enjoy your stay. In that department I am ready and willing to offer (and receive) moral support, general advice, study partnerships, et cetera. I have too much I want to learn and not enough people to tell me to get off my ass and learn it.

Happy birfday, too! Don't feel bad about thirty. It's the age where you're old enough to be respected and young enough to be cool, IMHO.

Jason":134t435u said:
Tits or gtfo.
Check out these li'l babies

Perihelion":134t435u said:
What prompted the idea to move to Canada, and what are you going to do about visas? Are you in a profession that makes it easy to get a work visa there?
We've been considering it a long time. We're still vaguely considering Colorado, but are 95% sure that Canada will be our next home. One of my best friends in the world is up there, who can help me with the visa process. We have ~5 years to prepare (long story), so we're just in the beginning stages. Next year we hope to do a big tour through the areas we're most interested in (Port Coquitlam (near Vancouver), Caledon (near Toronto), and Alberta [still researching]), to sorta come to a conclusion.

Perihelion":134t435u said:
As for me, I'm in my last year of college now. I just got a job offer from Microsoft and am going out to Seattle in a few days to check out the Redmond campus.
Holy jesus tapdancing butts, that is more amazing than ... The most amazing thing forever! I'm so happy for you holy crap!!! What position?? :shock: :shock:

Princess Amy":134t435u said:
You certainly have les inertie vénérable. Haw he haw he haw. Baguette.
Elle m'a montre sa baguette, nous avons une victime! Aoouuh haowh haowh

I can't pronounce any of this shit to save my life, I sound sorta like Aldo from Inglourious Basterds ("bahn-jorr-no")

HiPoyion":134t435u said:
30 isn't too old.
Yeah I dont feel old at all actually. I've always worried I'd be super depressed about it but I'm kinda looking forward to leaving my 20's behind. They felt like Starter Pack years, where I hadn't built a good deck to play with yet. But I got a pretty decent deck now and am ready to game.

Kojima is 51
WHAT

GOD DAMN IT ASIANS WHY DON'T YOU AGE

Post costumes?
I'm gonna be Flo from Progressive. Sam's gonna be Billy Mays (OxyClean). We'll be the Corporate Schill Duo. Whee

I'm still working for free. My dads still not good but he's supposedly getting just over 1/2 a million in compensation.
More info needed

Injury":134t435u said:
I freakin' missed you Ven!
I freakin' missed you too broski <3

Juan J. Sánchez":134t435u said:
I missed you... so... much...
Can't tell if sarcastic but I'll pretend it's not b/c yay Juan I'm happy to see you <3

Juan J. Sánchez":134t435u said:
It's difficult learning from from an English base. Gender possessive nouns make a lot more sense coming from other languages.
Yeah, applying gender to inanimate objects feels retarded. I'm semi-used to it from Spanish, but French feels stupider with it, and it's a lot harder to understand what gender it's supposed to be when listening because they use silent "e"'s for most female shit and "the" sounds the same for male & female, so why the fuck do they even bother UGH

Plus the fact that I know some Spanish is fucking me b/c a lot of the words are just similar enough to mix them up while reading/writing

Xilef":134t435u said:
French has a collection of vowel accents that will tell you if a letter is used or not in the middle of a word and how strongly it is used.
Yeah but it's hard to remember what accent does what sometimes and it's a PITA to type. I'll get the hang of it but IMO s'dumb in an age of keyboards.

Melanii":134t435u said:
I missed you! I'm the same; still writing books and preparing for National Novel Writing Month soon.
Missed you too! But wait, I see you on FB sometimes :)

I forgot about NaNoWriMo. I'll be too busy for it, but GL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoo":134t435u said:
Ven! I wasn't sure if you were busy or just immersed in Wasteland 2 for a couple months.
Jesus christ I loved Wasteland 2. Just beat it a few days ago. Now I'm on Divinity: Original Sin. Awesommmeeeeee, esp w/ another person. Have you played it :O

Spoo":134t435u said:
It's the age where you're old enough to be respected and young enough to be cool, IMHO.
Yeah I agree. I'm saving the worrying for 40 :>

Holy jesus tapdancing butts, that is more amazing than ... The most amazing thing forever! I'm so happy for you holy crap!!! What position?? :shock: :shock:
So I actually don't know too much about what specifically they'd have me doing. The product is a website, but I don't know what the tech stack looks like. I assume I'd be doing server backend in something like Java because that's my skillset, but we'll see. I'm gonna have a chance to talk to people when I go up there, so I'll find out more details soon. I'd be working in a startup that was recently acquired by MS. Apparently they use Macs. Haw haw.

Perihelion":ffwyvhkh said:
I'd be working in a startup that was recently acquired by MS. Apparently they use Macs. Haw haw.
When the Xbox360 was first revealed MS asked their partners to develop games for the Power Mac G5 until the official 360 devkits were ready, so the first trade show with 360 game demos on display actually had Mac G5s in the cabinets underneath running the games.

Melanii":1xw0bkxk said:
I know you've seen me on Facebook, Ven, as I have you. :P

Le cheval mange une banane. Elle est une petit chienne.

*ahem* The...... a banana. It is a small.....

That's all I remember.

Je nais parlais pas Francois. :(

I can't spell either. XD
The horse eats a banana. She's a little dog.
Think of cheval and in chivalry, which comes from chevalier, which means knight.

Most recent terrorism aside, Ottawa seems like a nice ass place to live. I'd prolly have to know more French there than the other places though, right?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.