Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Finally learned how to make decent weapon swing sprite sheet

I made these over the last couple of hours.

BlueSwing3.gif
BlueSwing2.gif
OrangeSwing.gif
OrangeSwing2.gif
YellowSwing.gif

There's a YouTube channel by DucVu FX. English isn't his first language, so he doesn't like to do voiceovers. You kind of have to follow along with what he's doing on screen. If you're not familiar with After Effects (like me) you'll spend a lot of time saying, "Wait, how did he do that? How did he lock the axis as he moved that? How did he select that?" But after a little diligence, I can already make weapon swings much better and faster than I ever could before.

Edit: Oh no! I must have done something different to the speed on that last gif. Kind of ruins the effect. Oh well.

Also, these are really simple animations. Duc does some really complicated effects. Some of his videos last over an hour if you don't watch it on 2x speed.

Edit 2: Just added another, because why not. I can make these pretty quickly now. It's probably time for me to go learn how to make the stuff in his next tutorial.

More stuff.

Green.gif
Fire.gif
LightningSwing.gif

The two on the left are Duc's examples. The one on the right is mine. It's a little bit of a mess, but I think my skills are moving along. This particular animation has three layers: the main blue layer, the lighter blue on top, and then a subtle darker trailing blur layer on the bottom. (All the animations in the top post have just one layer.)

Also, I made this:

ClawSlash.gif

I wanted to make an attack effect for some of the wolves you can fight for your first few levels. And I think this animation isn't going to fit in with the theme of the game or the intended difficulty of the wolves. I still need to perfect timing and placement of stuff. And I need to be sure that I make animations that are appropriate to the situation.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.