Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Final Boss, Thoughts [MiniLD 62] theme

onzephyr

Awesome Bro

MiniLD 62 is going on. It's a much less formal ludumdare. It runs for about a week. No prizes just for fun.
The Theme is Final Boss. Below is the keynote video. Brainstorming ideas, working through the concept figuring out what I think would be fun to make.
I'm curious on what others think of the theme?
What makes a good final boss? how could those design elements be made into a whole game? Is it even a good theme?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPOsUSioKiU

onzephyr

Awesome Bro

Thought about the Theme a lot today. Came up with an idea I like. The player bets whether or not they can beat a generated boss fight. If the fight sounds easy, bet more and the boss gets harder. keep raising the stakes until you except the bet, or you fold lose some coin and start over. Win the fight get coin and unlock harder more rewarding elements to fight against.
What genre this will take I'm not sure. The more simplistic the player mechanics the better. Engagement is centered on Learning boss mechanics in a simple system and betting on that knowledge for progress

My favourite final bosses have always been much larger than one battle, but I guess that would make an LD lengthy. It always feels a let down when you spend a game building up to the final fight but then it's over in one battle.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.