Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Details as Story Beats

When I call writing "bad" or "fanfiction quality", I'm really talking about the story's presentation or poor planning. First let me explain, fanfictions tend to lack descriptive details because there's an assumption that the readers will have a knowledge of the series and just get it. Except when the writer is bring something new in like an OC. Rather than seed details so that they become important later, it's straight out of nowhere on-the-spot explanations. It's like "Oh, by the way, this is my cousin who I've never mentioned before. He's the one that taught me this skill I've never demonstrated until today. And I've secretly been a vampire this whole time."

I can think of 2 ways this happens. One being lazy revisions. A detail was an afterthought and was just shoehorned in. The other one being that the story is just too short to bring these things up naturally anywhere else.
The latter is something I see in rpgm and mobile games. A symptom, I think, of planning the game in too blocky of segments.

Let's say it's the beginning of the game. A healer just joined your party for whatever reasons. Together you reach the end of the Level1 Forest area where you fight some bandits. The bandits run off and The Healer tells you "Btw, the girl bandit was my sister...blah blah blah...side story." Because it's just the beginning of the game, it's the first opportunity to present these details. Or is it?

What I'm getting at is that you don't have to stagger gameplay objectives and lengthy story sequences consecutively. You can break the story into shorter beats during the gameplay and avoid a chunky conversation and explanation at the end of a level. For example, instead of encountering the bandits suddenly at the end of the forest perhaps you witness them and briefly overhear their plans to met up with "Delilah". Your party stays quite during this except The Healer saying "Delilah? That's my sister's name." Then after the encounter with Delilah, simply confirming "So this is where she ran off to."
In this way, you weave details in as small beats instead of an avalanche of exposition.

I have been rewatching Red Dwarf and something hit me that's always in a lot of RPGs too. And that's the way they shoehorn in things that are about to appear in the story, even though they've had a whole season to put it in so it doesn't feel contrived. Take the Tension Sheet for example, which they're messing with at the start of the episode where they go back in time and tell Rimmer to invent the Tension Sheet. If it had been in series 3 from the start, this would have been funny. Instead it was like oh, you invented this thing just so it could appear in ten minutes time. Lost any kind of "aha!" moment from avid viewers. Or the episode where Kryten learns to lie - we're only introduced to the concept that Kryten can't lie in that very episode. If this had been a running gag and then it was resolved it would have had far more impact.

Point I'm making is don't shoehorn things in right before they're relevant, you have a whole game's worth of storyline to pop it in to.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.