Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Corrupted Heaven Tileset with Built-in Blood Pack

A few months back I started working with XP after a three or so year hiatus. This is the first tileset mod I've done in quite a while, but is the most expansive.

It's called "Corrupted Heaven" - it's a mod of the RTP Heaven tileset. It includes two tilesets, animations, icons, autotiles, and a battle-background. So, I guess there's a lot of stuff. :P

Corrupted%20Heaven.png

Click HERE to download the complete collection as a RAR file.

Tilesets

Exterior: http://rpgmakerxp.us/rtp_mods/Corrupted ... Heaven.png

Interior: http://rpgmakerxp.us/rtp_mods/Corrupted ... terior.png

Not all parts of these tilesets that look tileable are – due to the application of dirt/grunge, some tileable sections can’t be tiled. This should have been kept to a minimum. I did to testing to make sure that most things work as they ought to, but I can’t test every possible combination of the tiles. So, it is possible that there will still be some combinations that don’t work. If you discover any *major* flaws, let me know. I may redo a small section if the problem is large enough.

You should also note that the blood tiles look a lot better when they're put over top of other tiles than they do in the tileset image (they have transparent pixels that influence the color of the below tiles, and that coloration only shows up once you put them on top of something, the pure white background of the tileset image makes them look a lot more pale and ugly than they really are in use).

Autotiles

Corrupted%20Heaven%20Cloud.png
Heaven%20Cloud.png

These autotiles are not perfect, but should work fairly well in most cases.

Battle Background

Corrupted%20Heaven.png

As you can see, I’ve removed the rainbow, added cracks, and generally darkened the RTP image. It’s not perfect, but, I think, pretty good.

Animations

Rainbow%20Heaven%20Sphere.gif
Corrupting%20Heaven%20Sphere.gif
Corrupting%20Heaven%20Sphere%202.gif
Corrupted%20Heaven%20Sphere.gif
Corrupted%20Heaven%20Sphere%20Preview.gif

Conclusions & Commentary

That’s it for Corrupted Heaven. Altogether, this took me between 12 and 20 hours to create. I learned a lot in the process – especially about making cracks. My early ones didn’t look too good, but I think that they got better as I went along. I also learned about how to make autotiles actually tile. :P And I learned more about tiling in general – now I know what problem areas to look for. I think that my experiences making Corrupted Heaven have made me a better RTP-modder; now I’m looking forward to working on my next project.

I did want to add more Winged Sphere animations, for each variation on the sphere color, but the animations do take some time and are quite tedious. Maybe in the future I’ll figure out a better way of making them that will be faster; in which case, I may revisit Corrupted Heaven.

As for what is coming next – I’m not sure yet. It’s a big RTP with plenty of homes, castles, and peaceful fields to raze and destroy. Maybe you could make a request? ;)

Also, you can check out all my other work, not that there is much of it, on my blog which is linked to in my sig (just click on "Thutmose" or the Egyptian hieroglyphs to be taken there).

No ID

Sponsor

This looks good. The auto tiles remind me of a fan game I always wanted to make. I really liked the Burnt Interior.

This is just a thought on my part, but what if there were some shattered statues, as well as blackened ones? Anyhow, the one thing about this tileset that bugs me is how the cracks were made. Many of them are far to antialiased when compared to the sprites they've been placed on, or are intended to be placed on. Anyway, this is still better than I would have been able to do, with my extremely limited graphics skill, so good job.

Glitchfinder":1uwbc1me said:
This is just a thought on my part, but what if there were some shattered statues, as well as blackened ones?
There are cracked/broken versions of each statue, though the damage isn't too severe. If I ever revisit this tileset, I may work on breaking things even further.

The main reason I didn't do that in the first place is 'cause it would have required a lot of spriting versus just modifying the RTP. :P

Anyhow, the one thing about this tileset that bugs me is how the cracks were made. Many of them are far to antialiased when compared to the sprites they've been placed on, or are intended to be placed on.
Yeah. I had a lot of trouble making the cracks look right. The cracks on that one gazebo aren't great, I know. After working on it for about 20 hours straight, I just said "screw it" and hit save. >_<

I didn't do this from top-to-bottom, but jumped around. So some look a bit better as I learned to do them better over time. If I revisit this, I'll probably re-do some of the cracks. Cracks are a real pain to do, though.

Anyway, this is still better than I would have been able to do, with my extremely limited graphics skill, so good job.
Thanks. :)

No ID":1uwbc1me said:
This looks good. The auto tiles remind me of a fan game I always wanted to make. I really liked the Burnt Interior.
Thank you. :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.