Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Computer Build - Phase IV (Now with pictures)

Well as far as SSD Reliability:
My personal and professional projects are both stored through some form of SVN (subversion).

I will have a total of four drives:
1. 500GB EVO 850 SSD from Samsung
2. 1TB EVO 850 SSD from Samsung
3-4. X25-M 160GB SSD from Intel (older, but still solid, no pun intended.)

The current drives (including those from 2010, can't speak for sooner, 'cause I don't know) come with extra space used for wear leveling. So the 'you can only rewrite it so many times' issue is usually only an issue on smaller drives (X25-M notably, their total space possible has decreased!) where the overwrites hit the same areas more frequently by virtue of there being less wear-friendly data available.

Wow, like night and day.

Workstation-001.png
Workstation-002.png

Workstation-003.png

Spoo

Sponsor

So at this point do you think it would be wiser to spend the extra money to SLI two 980tis as opposed to two regular 980s? I don't necessarily see 4k gaming in the near future for me as I don't own a compatible display, but my new rig could easily support it should I buy one.

I feel like futureproofing is the smarter option but at the same time I'm not all that invested in 4k or VR... Yet.

Depends on the use case.

I do heavily multi-threaded workloads and run lots of server-level daemons to develop multi-tier applications. I've installed Hyper-V for emulating different environments and plan on distributing the compute power across these environments.

The Motherboard I chose doesn't support SLI, if I recall correctly.

If I wanted to focus on gaming heavy activities I would've went with a high-end desktop that focuses on fewer higher clocked cores, versus many lower speed cores.

Spoo":1cfgvtft said:
So at this point do you think it would be wiser to spend the extra money to SLI two 980tis as opposed to two regular 980s? I don't necessarily see 4k gaming in the near future for me as I don't own a compatible display, but my new rig could easily support it should I buy one.

I feel like futureproofing is the smarter option but at the same time I'm not all that invested in 4k or VR... Yet.
There is zero reason to get a 980 when the 980ti and 970 exist. The 970 is more budget aware, the 980ti is more performance aware. The 980 is awkwardly in the middle.

I say this as someone with two GTX 980s; if this PC was not required for work (if I was paying for it) I would have waited for the 980ti to be released before building it.

Spoo

Sponsor

Well, the first 980ti is supposed to arrive back home today. My wallet hurts, but I feel good about the purchase. I'll likely get the second one during Cyber Monday this year, assuming the price is good. CPU cooler as well.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.